• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where are the trailer wires?

Cherokee Kid

NAXJA Forum User
Wow it has been like 3 years since I have posted on here. I've been going to school in the Bronx (not much jeepin there)! Anyway, I bought a trailer today for a little bass boat I have and I need to hook up the brake light wires.
I thought I read a while back that the wiring harness was somewhere in the trun k under the carpet. Is this true? before I start tearing apart the trunk. Its a 1998 Xj sport without a towing package. Please let me know what I gotta do to get wired and go fishing! TY. - TK

Yeah Yeah NO Towing Package! just reg. cherokee

the wiring for trailer connectoins is behind the rear side drivers side panel at teh spare tire. Ya gotta buy a converter setup and many will just plug into existing wiring harness

Tom! Good to see you back!

I recommend the Hoppy T-Connect, much more reliable than the spliced in universal converter. Good luck, the fishing is much better out here in Missouri!

Wal-Mart also sells the T type connector harness that plugs right in. That is the easiest trailer plug install you'll ever find! It's nice because you can hide the wiring behind the spare tire when your not using it and it all stays out of the way and out of the weather.

Burley

Get the hoppy t-connector, about 10bucks on ebay. Easy plug and play

takes about 5min to install and you just run it out the bottom of the fender through the precut hole in the body. There's a stopper in the hole already take it out and run your wires through it then put it back.

Easy as pie

edmaude said:
hoppy manufacturing makes a nice plug in t adapter as well. got mine on ebay new for 15 bucks
I did the hoppy way...only through TracAuto...and it wasn't 15 bucks! :rattle: But it was easy to put in!

Cherokee Kid said:
Before I make a purchase, can someone please verify that this is the correct wiring harness for a 98 cherokee?
The link to the e bay site is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7980576146&category=6763Hoppy Double T-Connect

As soon as someone tells me this one is the right one and that its a good choice i'll get it, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.
It says it's for a Ford Bronco II. The one I ordered through Trac Auto said specifically Jeep Cherokee on it. If you want to make sure you get the right one, just order it. I can't confirm that one on Ebay. I don't think I've got any of the part numbers anymore. I'd just call the autoparts store, they'll give you the part number.
HTH.

Back