• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack and Tap or SHaft replacement?

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I want to get an SYE for the 231 but I want to do so on a budget with the minimum amount of work involved. Ths XJ have the new style out put shaft.
Is the hack and tap worth the effort? TIA

i'll let you know in two weeks. i should be doing a h & t and a full on sye pretty soon. h and t is mine other is on a buddys.

You can get a HD SYE from PORC for $170 shipped to your door.

You can get a stock XJ front shaft for less than $50 at a junkyard. You can then put in all new u-joints from the LAPS.

That's been working for me at 3" for a few months.

HTH

The H&T requires cutting, drilling & tapping and can be installed on the vehicle (not the most comfortable position, IMHO.) The shaft replacement style just requires wrenching and is more easily done on a bench, which makes for a more comfortable working position. Having done both, I prefer the full on SYE instead of the H&T. You get a stronger final product for about the same amount of work.

i had been meaning to bring up an old thread to see how you liked it. got a junkyard shaft for 20 yesterday and hope to have this done soon. any complaints? anyone know where i can get that spicer part #211229x

Dirk Pitt said:
You can get a HD SYE from PORC for $170 shipped to your door.

You can get a stock XJ front shaft for less than $50 at a junkyard. You can then put in all new u-joints from the LAPS.

That's been working for me at 3" for a few months.

HTH

Who is PORC? Never heard of them.

I'll agree that a full SYE is going to be stronger than a hack and tap.

After watching Rick Norman grenade a rear axle pinion yoke in Mickey's Hot Tub a couple of years back, I'm not so quick to bag on an h&t, considering his held up.

After watching FarmerMatt make many running attempts up the last waterfall on Wrecking Ball, in Johnson Valley, I bought a hack and tap.

If FM couldn't get it to disintegrate trying to "skinny pedal" up an eight foot waterfall - I was gonna be F-I-I-I-N-E!

(But then again, all this is available via the "Search" function....)

bburge

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

So far, I've had good luck with them.

As for the sye debate, by the time you get the spicer adapter to run the front shaft, and spend the effort to install it on your shaft, and buy the hack and tap, the sye just made sense.

I ran the hack and tap for many years and the guy who bought my xj still has it on there and working fine...to do mine I actually jacked up the rig started it and put into drive and used a skil saw with metal cutting blade to cut off the output shaft. the rotating shaft and the skil saw hle in place worked like a charm took al of about 3 minutes and came out perfectly square and flat. put the flange on the cut shaft and used as a guide to drill the hole. piece of cake Ive done 3 and none took more than 1 hour total/

Ramsey said:
anyone know where i can get that spicer part #211229x

I'd like to know this as well. Any suggestions...anyone...anyone...:laugh3:

Someone gave me a website a while back but I seem to have lost it.

xjnation said:

Thanks xjnation, I don't know why I didn't think of that, too simple I guess. I'll call them in the morning and see how many bones it's gonna cost me.

let us know

techno1154 said:
I want to get an SYE for the 231 but I want to do so on a budget with the minimum amount of work involved. Ths XJ have the new style out put shaft.
Is the hack and tap worth the effort? TIA

I won't bore you shaft diameter and what not...I ran a H&T for years, rung off a couple of front outputs on the 231, but the H&t didn't break. It held up to this abuse (first 2) http://www.fototime.com/users/[email protected]/VROC

Not to hijack but...After throughly searching the subject, I'm not sure this particular mod will work for me anyway. I've got an AW4, 242 and a D35. I'll still call in the morning and get a price.

i bought a used spicer adapter and it costed me $30 a new one was like $60 any local spicer dealer should be able to get it for ya.

BUCKYXJ said:
any local spicer dealer should be able to get it for ya.

NAPA told me they couldn't get it.

BUCKYXJ said:
i bought a used spicer adapter and it costed me $30 a new one was like $60 any local spicer dealer should be able to get it for ya.
if only it was that easy, no places around sell spicer

Back