• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C location of site glass window?

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I've been reading up on the A/C systems, and was wondering if my 88' has a site glass window for inspection of the fluid? And where is the reciever drier portion of the a/c system on an 88' ?

I found the reciever-drier below the compressor. I am seeing alot cloudy brownish fluid, in the inspection window. I did add sealer which was red. I just read a site that said this should be replaced every three years, or when a/c is serviced. I know mine is 18 years old, because this is a one-owner.

What is the electrical sensor coming off this?

What pressure does this system run at?

BrokenXJ said:
I found the reciever-drier below the compressor. I am seeing alot cloudy brownish fluid, in the inspection window. I did add sealer which was red. I just read a site that said this should be replaced every three years, or when a/c is serviced. I know mine is 18 years old, because this is a one-owner.

What is the electrical sensor coming off this?

What pressure does this system run at?

Bad idea with leak sealer. Oh well...

The electrical connector is the pressure switch to prevent the system from running under low volume charge. The lube oil is carried by Freon and if there's no Freon, there's no oil and the compressor will fail.

Freon pressure is proportional to temperature. Either value can be converted to the other. In other words, if you know the temperature, you'll know the pressure with the aid of a simple Freon conversion chart and vice versa. The hat-trick is to understand what temp/press you should have in different parts of the system and then solve how to achieve those values. It's a cool and easy thing to learn about but if you don't have time/patience to do so, that's why they have AC shops.

I've always had A/C, and was looking for quick fix. My system has been converted to R134. As I dig in deeper, with flushing, and evacuation its starting to get more complicated.

I am currently getting the slightest bit of coolness. If I could determine it was the reciever-drier I might go for it and exchange the R134 in the process.

Any suggestions?

BrokenXJ, take a look at the front of the compressor. If it's oily and dirty, then you probably have a front seal leaking. That's one of the most common places for leaks on our A/C systems.

If it will hold a charge through the summer, I'd just recharge with a can of R134a. It's cheap enough.

Back