• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pumps

Comanche

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anything different between a feul pump in a 1988 and a 1992? I have changed everythingover from a 1992 into a 1988. Evrything but the fuel pump. It seems to be working fine, but it is loud and the gauge dosent work. Any ideaas? I have been driving it for six months and it still keeps working?
Thanks for any help
Ron

A motor out of a 92 should be a H.O. motor. IIRC, the H.O. requires more fuel pressure than the older renix models. Also, the sending unit uses a different ohms resistance and that's probably why your guage doesn't work. Find the pump/sender combo out of a 92.

I'm sure others will chime in if I'm off base. I'm just working off of memory, from past threads.

HTH, Dan

I looked at an on line autoparts site and they list the same fuel pump for 88 and 92 XJs.

The factory pump I removed from my 88 XJ was a Bosch so I'd recommend trying to get a Bosch replacement.

I recommend you get a new sock filter for the tank and a new O ring for the tank flange.

There is an electrical connector, once you get the sending unit out of the tank you can test to see if it gives a signal.

It might be worth a call to the dealer to get a new sending unit if your's tests bad. It might be one of those deals you get the pump with the sender so you might get all the parts you need when you buy a new sender.

I found the Mopar pump kit included wires which had 1/8 inch space terminals on one end and 1/4 inch on the other end. It seems my 88 XJ came with these non standard terminals. Just be aware of that, prehaps you could change out the terminal on your factory wires if necessary.

Martin

they are not the same.

my father-in-law has an 88 with a Bosch and he's having a hell of a time finding a replacement, other than the factory pump for $190!!!! Every parts store that orders one in orders the wrong one.

I replaced the Bosch in my stepson's 93 with the Bosch from an 89, with no problems. The pumps appeared identical. The specs for the Renix and Chrysler systems both call for 31 psi at idle with the regulator connected, and 39 unregulated.

Back