• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep wont stay running

maineiac

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep will run for about 10-15 min than die ,and if i wait 30 min it will start again. it has a new fuel filter and the pump is comeing on when i turn the key ,it will fire with starting fluid but not run just a few coughs, is it possible the coil is bad and when it gets hot it wont give enough spark to fire the motor? anyone ever have this problem before or any ideas what to do next

What year XJ and how old is the CPS?

Do you know how old the CPS is? It may work when cold but be marginal enough that it fails when heat soaked.

Oddly enough, the specified resistance for the CPS is given when warm, so if your engine will run for ten to fifteen minutes, when it dies put a multimeter on the CPS connector and get an ohm reading. Matthew Currie is the guy who always remembers what it's supposed to be. My fuzzy recollection is around 225 ohms, but I think there's an acceptable range that Matthew probably has engraved on his wedding ring or something, because he always knows it instantly.

Back