• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC compressor clutch

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ, Black with AC compressor clutch failing (thanks Ivan and jneary for the help diagnosing)
My question is...I am a handy type of guy, but don't have much automotive experience...pretty confident that I can handle some repairs with moderate difficulty. I am also a visual type of guy and would appreciate if anyone provides a link with a description and pictures how to do it (yes, I am going to consult the manual too...:) and would also appreciate tips from those of you that have done it themselves. Please, feel free to discourage me...I won't get offended.
Now as Ivan said, it is a $480 part. Anyone else that sells that? Better? My rule is that each part that fails, gets replaced with equal or better, so please recommend.
Thanks in advance
Boris
P.S. The first 9 pages with search results did not tell me how to change it...:)

The magnet of the A/C clutch is about $25.00, I changed myself in my 95 XJ, you will need a clutch puller (about $17.00), hex wrench set and clip pliers and a bench press (optional), remove the compresor from the base, remove the nut in clutch front, use the puller to remove the clutch flex plate, and use the clip plier to remove the clip that hold the magnet, assembly repeating in backwards.

Good luck.

Typically, the compressor and clutch are replaced as a unit - apart from evacuating and recharging the system, it's easier to do it that way. You'll probably need some sort of face spanner wrench to hold the clutch while you remove the centre bolt, and then getting it off can be difficult.

However, do some searching before you decide on that $400+ price tag - as I recall, a Sanden SD505 with clutch can be had in some places for about $250 or so (so you should be able to find a lower price on that clutch!) As I recall, that compressor/clutch price was at RB's Auto - they're a hot-rodder's supply house.

Sometimes searching along odd avenues pays off....

5-90

Boris...

The $480 quote was parts and labor. The clutch itself was about $200 or so, I don't recall. It was a tough call, but because I had relative low mileage on my XJ at the time, I had the compressor clutch replaced. If it had been higher mileage and more AC usage such as living in hotter climates, I would have gone with the complete compressor replacement....

Ivan

no spanner tool need, the center bolt have a hex key patern and you only have to use a wrench and an allen tool to loose the nut, I did it in half hour the hole change, if you get the factory repair manual you will find a detailed instruction but is very easy and very inexpensive repair if you buy the puller and the magnet, sanden compresors are one of the best on the market and are long life if are properly lubricated. Parts and tool are $100 or less I got them for about $50

Back