• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sagging head liner.........??

hangubus

NAXJA Forum User
hey i was jsut wondering if anyone had any tips on fixing my way sagging head liner.....i dont want to waist the $$$ on a new one... I was thinking staple it up there but thats ghetto..... or get some kind of glue in an airasol can (spelling) ...and spray it up there through some little holes..... or idea 3.......rip it all out......leaving some kind of insulation and the rhino-line the whole top.......but i dont know how exsactly that would work....

pleaase tell me what worked for you! or your ideas!!! thanks guys

2 cans of 3M 77 and a couple of yards of 45 inch or wider material from the dollar table will do the same thing. Just won't have the foam behind it to fall apart again.

hangubus said:
hey i was jsut wondering if anyone had any tips on fixing my way sagging head liner.....i dont want to waist the $$$ on a new one... I was thinking staple it up there but thats ghetto..... or get some kind of glue in an airasol can (spelling) ...and spray it up there through some little holes..... or idea 3.......rip it all out......leaving some kind of insulation and the rhino-line the whole top.......but i dont know how exsactly that would work....

pleaase tell me what worked for you! or your ideas!!! thanks guys

I used some thin, 1/4 inch I think, dowels. I just stuck one end into the plastic around the headliner and bowed it up against the sagging cloth and cut it so it would fit snuggly against the plastic on the other side. I then repeated that every foot or so all the way to the back liftgate area. It has been up for 2 years and no more sagging or flapping when the windows are down.

I ripped mine completely out, padding and all. Took 20 minutes - FREE!
Cut around the dome light and pull padding out of the side rails. Visors need to come off temporarily. My Jeep is a woods Jeep, I really don't care about apprearance.

csr_011 said:
http://www.headlinerkit.com/j.shtml

its easy, just takes a bit of time. You can go ghetto and have a shitty looking headliner or sound like you are driving around in a trash dumpster without it or follow the link above.

Total cost for me was about 4 hours and $26 in materials.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56942&highlight=headliner

Later,

hey i jsut took my head liner out and the cloth of but its like fiberglass/isulation crap.........will the new head liner still glue to it? or was you different? please let me know thanks.....seems like it want stick.......

hangubus said:
csr_011 said:

its easy, just takes a bit of time. You can go ghetto and have a shitty looking headliner or sound like you are driving around in a trash dumpster without it or follow the link above.

Total cost for me was about 4 hours and $26 in materials.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56942&highlight=headliner

Later,

hey i jsut took my head liner out and the cloth of but its like fiberglass/isulation crap.........will the new head liner still glue to it? or was you different? please let me know thanks.....seems like it want stick.......

Dude, did you read the write up of the first link????

"STEP 3...The old deteriorated foam must be cleaned from the board itself in order for the glue to adhere the new headliner to the board; this is done with a regular household brush or grill brush. (my preference is a softbristled brush)"

"STEP 4...The board should be completely cleaned of the old foam. (you don't have to remove the old glue; it is almost impossible)"

Once you get all that foam crap brushed off, then blown or vacuumed off, you can glue and slap on the new material. Go to the first link and read the process, its very simple, just time consuming is all.

Cory

csr_011 said:
hangubus said:
Dude, did you read the write up of the first link????

"STEP 3...The old deteriorated foam must be cleaned from the board itself in order for the glue to adhere the new headliner to the board; this is done with a regular household brush or grill brush. (my preference is a softbristled brush)"

"STEP 4...The board should be completely cleaned of the old foam. (you don't have to remove the old glue; it is almost impossible)"

Once you get all that foam crap brushed off, then blown or vacuumed off, you can glue and slap on the new material. Go to the first link and read the process, its very simple, just time consuming is all.

Cory

I read it and understood it but i didi know if mine was different or not.....because it didnt seem like the new stuff would stick very well the the fiberglass/insulation stuff..... And thats what the whole board is...the insulation cant rub clean....

thanks

I helped chop an '85 it was the same way, the structure is pressed fiberglass with no "board" at all. As for the first link that is a FULLSIZE Cherokee (look at the AL runners on the back seat) and uses 1/4ish fiberboard to back the headliner.

Roll-over said:
I helped chop an '85 it was the same way, the structure is pressed fiberglass with no "board" at all. As for the first link that is a FULLSIZE Cherokee (look at the AL runners on the back seat) and uses 1/4ish fiberboard to back the headliner.
I bought an 89 XJ Laredo, that a tree had fallen on. When I replaced the roof, I also bought a new headliner. It was pressed fiber like you described. However, mine was a Laredo trim-package and had the aluminum strips on the back of the rear seat and cargo floor. That is an XJ in the writeup. You can tell by looking at the windows and by the hump in the middle of the roof. In the FSJ Grand Wagoneers, the headliner boards are made in two pieces and are wood (press-board). There is an aluminum trim piece that covers the seam. I owned a 90 Grand Wagoneer and I had to repair the headliner in it, too.

Roll-over said:

HE HE.

"This is an 1983 Jeep Cherokee with a saggy headliner problem. These simple seven steps is required on any automobile to replace the headliner. "

Cory

Bought my at same place, WLS headliners.
Advice I would give, clean old headliner board well and have an extra set of hands when installing the new one. It makes it much easier to stretch it from side to side then work it from front to back or vice versa. Once it's sprayed and laid down it doesn't come back up, unless you ruin it.

The guy at the local upholstery shop warned me about the stretching deal. I was in a time crunch deal so thats why i decided to use some material from Walmart instead, didnt want to have to stretch and ruin a good piece of actual headliner material. It looks good, i will post a pic some day, i keep forgetting to take one...

Cory

UMM.....i might be retarded or something.....but none of that answered my question if it will work to glue the new headliner Fab. to the pressed fiber glass crap.....? There is no old glue like described and not an actual "board" sooo will it work to glue the new fab. to the old crappy pressed fiberglass(with all fome taken off)???? thanks

Yeah good question i have a 1994 limited and ive looked at doing this job- i wonder if earlier jeeps had "board" i did it once on a mitsubishi it had a hard card boardy type of material where my jeep has a compressed insulating type material------so the question is does the same procedure work on this material, because it looks like it would fall apart if you wernt carefull removing it from the vehicle let alone peeling the sagging liner off

any thoughts?

Ewen

Yes it will work. You'll never, ever get all the old glue off, just won't happen. You do need to get as much of the old broken down foam off as possible. I didn't like the way the old stuff was brushing off so I pulled one layer of that junk off. Didn't do any harm. You can see a few ripples and little bumps here and there on the surface because I used a white denim. A friend used a piece with a print on it and it isn't so noticeable.

You do have to be a little careful taking the sandwiched material liner out. But it really isn't that hard. Once all the trim is off. There's a couple of clips on each side that the liner sits in, my 84 had 2 per side, my 88 had 3, and then there's the two industrial strength velcro strips to either side of the rear view mirror in the front. Slides right out the back after you drop it down.

Last edited:
IF you cleaned all the Foam off the headline. IT should stick to the fiber glass , most headliners from 80 and above are made of fiber glass . Some have like a plastic/foam one , theres a thin flim coating over the fiber glass. if you pulled that off and are useing headliner mat. it will still stick and look good. Take your time don't rush and it will all good. Only reason i know is that our family has been in the Upholstery biss for the last 50+ years almost so theres not much we haven't seen or come across .

Thing is over time the heat build up in the car will make the glue turn lose and theres no glueing it back. You can use stuff with out the foam but thats imo not a good choice as it's not going to add back to the resell val of it. but sounds like to me your on ther right track. if you have problems pm me and i'll try to asnwer them as best as i can

Back