• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat tape on e-brake cable

bbaker80

NAXJA Forum User
I need to protect my right rear e-brake cable from my exhaust. I already have melted the outer rubber sleeve and part of the actual rubber housing of the cable. I was thinking that something like this http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=heat+tape&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp would work to protect the cable from more damage. I assume by its description that it can withstand the heat, but what about abrasion? Is there something better out there that I can use. I don't really want to replace the cable yet again, and I would like to "hide" the "damage" to the cable to pass inspection.

The cable still works fine and I do maintain my junk, so if it does go bad, it will get replaced. What I really mean by that last sentence is telling me to replace the cable now rather than later is a waste of your time, I'll replace it when it goes bad. My Jeep only sees about 500 miles of use a year, and with an auto there isn't a pressing need for a 100% e-brake like there is in my WRX.

Back