• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tom Wood's DriveShafts Baaaaaadddd???Need TW DS owners here

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
hey,
spoke to few local jeep places here in toronto and all of them said that they have had problems with TW DSs. Either beeing too short or out of balance etc ...straight from the factory? Any ideas about that? your info is welcome

My original TW shaft is in its third XJ. And it still has the black paint he applied.

I'm impressed.

Brian

No problems here either. I did tear the boot off the splines last summer, but a quick call to TW resulted in a new boot being shipped out overnight free of charge for another run the next weekend. Customer service like that is almost unheard of these days. I can say without a doubt I will be buying my SYE and rear shaft from TW as well.

I have bought 2 TW in the past adn both where far below par called TW and got no help had em reworked in PHoenix at AZ driveline. one had bent tube and elongated yoke the day I got it..parts where definately previously used. Will not use TW again.

Call Dirk at dpg. He might be able to get you a high angle driveline driveshaft from Jess made. I have one and it it much better quality than my friends woody shaft.---------Kyle

I run a TW shaft up front and in the back. In feb was in Crozet Va, Ripped the rear Ujoint apart, broke all the strap bolts and split the rear yoke. DS held up. New ujoint, new yoke, ubolts in stead of straps and it was back in buisness.

xjnation said:
save a bit and call Jess directly

high angle driveline

You got that right. Jess is the freaking man when it comes to drive shafts, I have gotten two from him and wont be going to anyone else anytime soon.

I've gotten two shafts from Tom Woods(a front and a rear) and one from High Angle(a rear).
I've been running these shafts for years and they are both of the exact same quality, workmanship, and I got the same customer service from both companies. To say one is better than the other would come down to personal opinion.
If you live in CA Tom Woods is cheaper since you don't have to pay sales tax.

xjnation said:
I have bought 2 TW in the past adn both where far below par called TW and got no help had em reworked in PHoenix at AZ driveline. one had bent tube and elongated yoke the day I got it..parts where definately previously used. Will not use TW again.

Brian.....my BS filter is flashing wildly.

If by some freakish event,Tom or one of his staff sent you the wrong product by mistake or the junk that you claim and you made them aware of the issue, I would expect that Tom would have been very generous in righting any wrong that my have occured.

I'm running a woody, great customer service experience. Tom seny me my first shaft, which had some vibe problems. No questions asked Tom paid for overnight shipping a new shaft to me -- works great. I will use TW again.

The first after-market DS I bought was a Woody. I had a 4 1/2" lift done on the XJ and had a terrible time with rear vibrations. Of course it was a Chryco 8.25 which are notorious for that problem. Out of sheer desperation we began to wonder of the DS was the problem. Tom said to send it back and he'd rebalance it. I told him I wasn't sure that was it. He said to send it back anyway to check. Not only that but he sent me a new one before I even got the other one sent out. That did solve the problem but his service was so unusual that I have been a loyal customer of his ever since. Several months ago I called to order a couple of CV style shafts and they convinced me to buy the cheaper shaft with two ujoints as that was what they thought I really needed. They were $100 cheaper per shaft. Of course they worked. As a result I'm a big fan of T. Wood. I do find it kinda of funny that a good Mormon boy has a bumper sticker that says, "My shafts a Woody"!! :laugh3: :laugh3: I luv a sense of humor.

I had Tom's son Shawn make my shaft while I was in Moab four weeks ago. It was solely on their reputation that I bought it because I could have easily driven to get a junkyard stocker for a spare to get home on.

I can safely say it's the best driveshaft I've ever owned made by the nicest people.

xjnation said:

Brian, if you're gonna whine then let's post the whole truth here. If you really had contacted Tom and expressed your dissatisfaction and given him the option to make things right, then he would have made things right ASAP.
Mistakes happen, it's really how the vendor resolves the problem and makes things right, given the opportunity.
In fact, I've PMed you with his private email so you can contact him directly. Let us know how he responds.

FWIW, my first Woody shaft got spiraled due to me not lifting soon enough while trying to climb a steep dome in Moab one year......Tom built me a new shaft with thicker wall for free.

Last edited:
Back