• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj, no start.

ipkyss

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 xj. And it will not start. Fuel is fine, no spark. Check for power at the coil. I Checked the +feed to the coil. When you turn the key on, the +feed has power. After about 2-3 seconds, the power shuts off. It shuts off at about the same time the fuel pump does. Also no power to the distributer. It will turn over all day long, but not flood itself. So the injectors are not fireing. So as far as I can figure it out. the is no power to the coil, distributer, or computer. So the question is, why doesn't everything have power. And why does the power come on for 2-3 seconds, and the go off.

Jeep was runnign perfect all day, I put it on the trailer, bring it home. and now this. I checked all fuses and everything else i could think of. If anone has any idea please help. I would rather have a blown up rear end or broken axle then this. Atleast i would know what i had to fix.

Any luck with your problem? I have the same problem, and my jeep has been sitting for over a month. I think my problem has to do with the factory security system. Anyway, if you have had any luck let us know, or if anyone else has any suggestions let us know please!

Check/replace the crankshaft position sensor. It's on top of the trans bell housing behind the exhaust header area. Or it could be the camshaft position sensor.

It the PCM doesn't get a signal from both of these when you crank the motor, it will de-energize the ASD and fuel pump relays in about three seconds.

K

corbinafly said:
Check/replace the crankshaft position sensor. It's on top of the trans bell housing behind the exhaust header area. Or it could be the camshaft position sensor.

It the PCM doesn't get a signal from both of these when you crank the motor, it will de-energize the ASD and fuel pump relays in about three seconds.

K

Thanks for the help man! The crankshaft position sensor is what most people have suggested first. I have spark when the key is in the crank postion, then vanishes a few seconds later, which sounds like the ballest resistor (spelling?) but I have jumped across it with no luck. The reason I have thought it was the factory securtiy system is because when I connected the battery the last time the security went off, and locking/unlocking any of the doors did not turn it off. After a while it went off by its self, butt the security idiot light stays on while cranking it. I have tried every trick I could find to trick the security system into disarming with no luck. I am completly out of ideas with the exception of the CPS or maybe as a few people have suggested getting a new computer that came from a XJ without the factory security system. What would you guys try first?

By the way, I am very sorry to hijack this thread, but I thought maybe some suggestions would help ipkyss also. Thanks for the input guys!

Any diagnostic trouble codes?

Junkxj,

Did you try disarming the alarm with the ignition on? Just a thought..

K

It's not the ballast resistor- that is used on early years to reduce power to the fuel pump for noise control. It has nothing to do with the ignition system, so you would still have spark with a bad ballast resistor.
No spark and no fuel pressure together means one of the critical inputs to the engine computer: either the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor, as stated above.

Junkxj,

I was going over my factory powertrain diagnostic procedures manual last night. I came across a procedure that asked if the vehicle was equipped with a factory alarm. From what I gathered it appears that the alarm can disable the fuel pump. I couldn't get any further than that cause if the DRB showed if the fuel was off it told me to look in the Body Diagnostic Procedures Manual. I don't have that one.

Hope this gives you some insight..

K

I am going to try the cps. I have not had time to touch it. I had this same proble once before. A few weeks ago. I pulled the remote start and all the wiring that goes with it out. And it started right up. Then it did it again, So I thought it was just luck before and was actually something else. How do i tell if it had a factory alarm? And ifso, how do i disable it?

corbinafly said:
Junkxj,

Did you try disarming the alarm with the ignition on? Just a thought..

K

No i have not, how would I do that? I really appreciate all of the help guys! I have about had it with my jeep, and it means alot to me to get any kind of help. Like I said, I have tried all of the diffrent wires that supposedly when grounded will disarm the factory alarm with no luck. I have not tried to see if there is any trouble codes yet, because untill recently I have been convinced it was the security system that was keeping it from starting. I know I should have tried that also, but it didn't cross my mind untill it was suggested. Again, thanks for the input, it means alot to me to recive any help with a problem this damn frustrating.

ipkyss said:
I am going to try the cps. I have not had time to touch it. I had this same proble once before. A few weeks ago. I pulled the remote start and all the wiring that goes with it out. And it started right up. Then it did it again, So I thought it was just luck before and was actually something else. How do i tell if it had a factory alarm? And ifso, how do i disable it?

The best way I know to tell if your Xj has a factory alarm is to unhook the battery and reconnect it. The lights should flash, and the horn should sound. It should have a security light in the dash if it is like my 92. And as far as how to disable it , DAMN IF I CAN FIGURE THAT ONE OUT!! Good luck man, and if you figure it out let me know please.

junkxj said:
No i have not, how would I do that? I really appreciate all of the help guys! I have about had it with my jeep, and it means alot to me to get any kind of help. Like I said, I have tried all of the diffrent wires that supposedly when grounded will disarm the factory alarm with no luck. I have not tried to see if there is any trouble codes yet, because untill recently I have been convinced it was the security system that was keeping it from starting. I know I should have tried that also, but it didn't cross my mind untill it was suggested. Again, thanks for the input, it means alot to me to recive any help with a problem this damn frustrating.

Put the key in the ignition and turn to on/run position. Then push the arm/disarm button on your key remote. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. Only other suggestion would be to call up a dealer and ask one the techs there how to disarm.

Let us know if you have any success.

K

if you don't have any luck with the security thing, get a chiltons manual & CHECK CAM SENSOR it is not cps, unless it is both sensors. in 95' cps does not control injector timing.

Thanks again for the help guys, I worked on my jeep all day again today with no luck. As far as disarming the alarm with the remote, I don't have the remote so I can't try that, butt thanks for the idea. As for the idea from XUV-This, my xj is a 92, so does the crank position sensor work the same as a 95? I feel stupid to say this, but where is the cam positon sensor located? I may replace both just to make sure. I have read someone suggested getting a engine control computer from a XJ without the factory security system to not have to deal with the security anymore. Does anyone know where I could order one from if they do make one that will work with a 92 4.0/AW4 ? Thanks for the help, keep the ideas comming!

junkxj said:
I feel stupid to say this, but where is the cam positon sensor located? I may replace both just to make sure. I have read someone suggested getting a engine control computer from a XJ without the factory security system to not have to deal with the security anymore. Does anyone know where I could order one from if they do make one that will work with a 92 4.0/AW4 ? Thanks for the help, keep the ideas comming!

The cam position sensor is in the distributor. There's an electrical connector coming out of the distributor just below the distributor cap kinda facing toward the front of the engine. It's the cam ps pigail.
Try a local yard to find a PCM that will work for you.

K

Well, I have spent two more full days working on my xj with no luck, still know codes are shown. Does anyone know if the factory security system will randomly cause no spark, the injectors to not open, and the fuel pump to not run. Each seems to take it's turn working for a few cranks then stop. I can make the plugs fire, and make the fuel pump run with a hot wire, but can't keep the injectors working. Does anyone know where I could order a computer from an XJ without the damn secuity system? That is about my last resort. Thanks for the help.

I had a similar problem with my '90...would start one day, no spark the next. Changed the coil and still nothing. Turned out it was a bad spark coil. Of course, I ripped out the alarm, check the starter, the solinoids...$192 from the dealer and about 20 minutes with a wrench.

if you've tried every thing else above, it could be the coil. or the puter. i would try a coil off ebay first. if you removed the distributer, it could be off a notch.

My jeep will only run sometimes on starting fluid, but not always. The fuel pump runs sometimes, but most of the time it does not. The injectors do the same thing, as does the power from the coil. I guess my question is, has anyone put a computer from a XJ without the factory security into one that came with it and it worked? The only place I can find to order one online is autozone, none of the other big auto parts places tell if it is for factory security equiped rigs. Anyone have any other ideas?

Back