• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case falling out of gear

Flashover

NAXJA Forum User
I was in Moab a couple weeks ago and took some pretty hard hits to the cross member and skid plate. Since then, the t-case has decided that it doesn't like 4-low. Sometimes it will stay for a couple hours, sometimes you have to hold the shifter the whole time. I adjusted the linkage to what seems right, but I wasn't really sure where it should be. Right now it pulls the case all the way into gear before hitting the back of the travel on the shifter. Do ya'll think the linkage is still out of adjustment, or did I screw up something internally?

Thanks,
Joel

Flashover said:
I was in Moab a couple weeks ago and took some pretty hard hits to the cross member and skid plate. Since then, the t-case has decided that it doesn't like 4-low. Sometimes it will stay for a couple hours, sometimes you have to hold the shifter the whole time. I adjusted the linkage to what seems right, but I wasn't really sure where it should be. Right now it pulls the case all the way into gear before hitting the back of the travel on the shifter. Do ya'll think the linkage is still out of adjustment, or did I screw up something internally?

Thanks,
Joel

My money's on the linkage. If you broke a shift fork or something, you'd know it.
Billy

I agree. I've had to adjust mine from time to time.

linkage x3

actually adjusting linkage first is probably the bandaid: look to see if your crossmember is not tweaked (From those hits). If so I would address that first and then look into linkage. ALso look at the bushings on your linkage (btw, worn tranny and motor mounts don't help either)

I know the bottom side of the cross member is pretty bent up, but I think the top is OK. I'll check it out further. I'll also have a look at the linkage again. Thanks.

Flashover said:
I know the bottom side of the cross member is pretty bent up, but I think the top is OK. I'll check it out further. I'll also have a look at the linkage again. Thanks.
If the bottom is bent up I bet money the whole thing is tweaked.....

Back