• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regear Cost?

marcusguy

NAXJA Forum User
I've been calling around getting prices on front and rear gears and installation (99 xj dana 30hp, 8.25, 3.55 stock). All the quotes I have gotten so far are between $1250-$1500. Does this sound like a lot to you guys? The installs included bearings, and seals, but that still seems like WAY to much money to me. Opinions on these quotes?

Marcus

So Cal

Yep, that price range sound horrible. Many shops around my area will set up a diff for about 150 bucks.

So 300 bucks for the install, plus, oh let's say about 400 for the gears, equals a whole lot less than they quoted you. Search around.

Labor around here is about 200-250$ per axle!The install kits are usually about 75$ per axle.

DeadeyeJ-

Thanks for the advice man. I realize that things might be more expensive in southern california than other places, but from what you say, that much of a difference is unbelievable. They are saying about 700 for parts and the rest is installation. At this point, I'm reading up on what's needed to do it myself in order to decided if I want to figure it out for myself

My axles only have 50,000 miles on them. I understand that with everything out already it makes sense to replace bearings and all, but do I really need to?

Anyone else??

Marcus

Bearings are a must on a new install.Gears are not something you can learn from a book.It takes alot of experience to do them.Even more important is the amount of specialized tools for the job(2 torque wrenchs,dial indicator,bearing puller,press,micrometer,etc.

I was planning on going with 4.56s. I thought for a long time about finding some 4cyl axles with 4.10s already in them. I just decided that I would be settling for that when I really wanted 4.56. At this point though, I'm starting to consider it again because of the prices I've found.

Marcus

Sounds like most of the prices you're getting are based on some sort of computer generated labor program. I found similar pricing as well. Finally found a single owner based 4x4 shop where the guy simply quoted me a set price per axle for the install for a total cost of $600.00 for my 4.56's... no fancy-schmancy computer based labor quotes. That cost was total quote and he stuck to it. Unfortunately, those shops are few and far between :(

He had a heck of time installing the front gearing because the True Trac was crashing into the pinion gear. Turned out to be a "too thick" bearing which was causing the collision. He wound up installing a Toyota bearing to make it work. The rear 8.25 was just a bear in general to install the gearing. He had a hard time getting a good pattern on some Precision gears... get Superiors if you can. Took the poor guy 2 days to deal with my gearing, but he stuck to his price to the end... heck of nice guy.... I bought him his favorite bottle to tequila for his extra efforts....

Ivan

What?????????

Ivan said:

He had a heck of time installing the front gearing because the True Trac was crashing into the pinion gear. Turned out to be a "too thick" bearing which was causing the collision. He wound up installing a Toyota bearing to make it work.
Ivan

It sounds to me like you installed the wrong ratio carrier!I have not heard of any special bearing requirements?

Sorry... should have clarified....that was labor for the install only. Gearing with master overhaul kit was another $585 total from Drive Train Direct, with free shipping on Fridays (limited time thing)...

Ivan

Last edited:
Re: What?????????

RCP Phx said:
It sounds to me like you installed the wrong ratio carrier!I have not heard of any special bearing requirements?

Nope... the True Trac was the carrier, and it was the one called out for a D30. It wasn't much of a "crash", just enough to leave some gouge marks on the True Trac housing where the pinion hit. We're talking "thousandths" of an inch, but enough to interfere. Perhaps a miscut on the pinion itself...who knows. A slightly slimmer Toyota pinion bearing cured it....

Ivan

Do you have the carrier part #,and what ratio gears?
I guess its not the carrier.

That still seems strange!!

Last edited:
i got my gears (D-30 HP, D-44) done by the guys at 4XDoctor in Burbank... they charge $300 for the front, $250 for the rear for labor, and about $275 per axle for spicer gears and timken master install kits. Total: $1100-1150 (once you add in small stuff like tax, shop supplies, waste oil disposal, etc.)

it's about in line with your other quotes, but I knwo the setup was done right.

Gear Prices

A set of gears for the Dana 30R-4.10 from Randy's were 140.00, master install kit was 75.00, carrier was 45.00, spider gears were something like 45-60.00. The rear is pretty much the same with an open carrier, or you could look into a Lock Rite, or Aussie Locker(199.99). Or go all out and get a ARB or Full Locker. You just need to see what you really need and what your going to use it for. But it was about 320 for the front of mine, labor was 250.00. I went with the 4.10 Wrangler D35 which had an ARB for 400.00. So look around the bone yards, my buddy just got a D30 for 50.00 with an ARB. So it pays to look. But count on about 1500 for the total deal.

You can also look at boneyards for a chry 8.25 from a 97+ 4cyl with that you get 4.10s and a way stronger axle that the 35 will ever be thats what I did...That was cheaper than buying new shafts and gears and install kit plus install fees and I did it my self...
luck
themud
:D

There is a guy in Westminster OC that will do an install for you for probably around $300 (not too sure about the price as he just went up a bit). He did mine and couple other peoples in the area..... Also there is another guy in North San Diego area who will install your gears for pretty cheap....... drop me an email @ [email protected] and I will get you their contact info.....

Kejtar

The prices I've found on the web are around this:

superior gears
$199 rear
$139 front
$75-80 X2 for master install kits with timken bearings
$50 for front carrier (empty carrier, I see no reason to get new spiders)

This adds up to about $550. So that means that most places are charging me $800-900 labor. That's $400-450 per axle! Am I leaving something out?

Marcus

ya that you getting riped. most shops in my area incuding one that i work for from time to time charges 300 per axle if still in the jeep and 150 a pop if its already removed. and he has realy good prices it cost me 450 for 4.56 gears and install kits and i got a carrier for my rear 44 for 15 bucks on ebay.

Back