• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A pillar gauge pod

corbinafly

"Mmmm. More please."
I put these in today. In case anyone out there would like another option for gauges.

K
gaugepod2ur.jpg

Summit sells Auto Meter pods in black/paintable ABS:
Single 2 1/16" pod, #ATM-15211, $21.95
Dual 2 1/16" pod, # ATM-15210, $27.95

BlueGerbil said:
I know the Autometer part, thanks!

But the a pilar pod for three gauges wood be interesting...
Look at it again - the top two gauges are in one pod while the bottom one is a separate piece.

It sure would have been nice for the original poster to actually give us some info...I like how the fuel gauges don't match each other (stock one and middle pod) :laugh3:

Yucca-Man said:
Look at it again - the top two gauges are in one pod while the bottom one is a separate piece.

It sure would have been nice for the original poster to actually give us some info...I like how the fuel gauges don't match each other (stock one and middle pod) :laugh3:

Those are the autometer dual pods. One was cut in half and welded to the other with abs cement then painted. The middle gauge is a fuel pressure gauge. That's why it doesn't match the stock one.:lecture:

K

how do you wire in the air fuel mix? if those have lights in them how are they at night do they bother you at all?

the lights are backlight. like factory. the a/f ratio wires into the standard o2 sensor circuit, easy as pie. there are existing holes in the firewall that other stuff go through. they can accomodate the wires.

cherowagon said:
hard to wire up? how did you run wires from the engine bay? post up!!!

Wirng is very simple. So far I've only got the air/fuel ratio meter wired up completely. I'm trying to find the time to put in the tranny and engine oil coolers before I finish wiring those up (engine oil temp gauge will be in the dash). I'll probably get the fuel pressure gauge finished tomorrow.

Here's where the wires run through. It's an existing rubber boot/grommet thingy.

gaugewiring10vl.jpg

Same thingy from the engine bay side.
gaugewiring28ne.jpg

This is how I ran the O2 sensor signal wire to the gauge. I tapped off the signal wire going from the O2 sensor to othe PCM. Covered it with split loom to get a clean factory look.
gaugewiring34uz.jpg

jeepsrock said:
where did you get the gray ones from, i can only find black pods ?

pete

They're tan, not grey. They only make them in black. I had mine painted.

K

Question about your A/F ratio gauge....Is it actually usefull? My friend has one and all it does is dance from one side to the other, and shoot to rich when he gasses it. I want one to actually tune with, but I need to find an affordable one that will actually give me a stable reading.

JeepSpeed said:
Question about your A/F ratio gauge....Is it actually usefull? My friend has one and all it does is dance from one side to the other, and shoot to rich when he gasses it. I want one to actually tune with, but I need to find an affordable one that will actually give me a stable reading.

No such thing as a cheap AF gauge that is accurate. Unless it is a wideband sensor with wideband gauge its just a light show. Don't get me wrong, I've had them and wouldn't mind them agian, they just aren't very helpful for anything. They will show you when running rich but won't show how rich and will show when you're running lean but won't say how lean.

Basically with a cheap gauge it will do the exact same thing for a perfectly tuned motor as it will for a poorly tuned motor.

And I may be wrong but with the dual pod mounted up that high aren't the gauges angled wierd? I know the OEM triple podes have them angled a little better towards the drive but the duals are meant to mount lower.

Twistedimg said:
No such thing as a cheap AF gauge that is accurate. Unless it is a wideband sensor with wideband gauge its just a light show. Don't get me wrong, I've had them and wouldn't mind them agian, they just aren't very helpful for anything. They will show you when running rich but won't show how rich and will show when you're running lean but won't say how lean.

Basically with a cheap gauge it will do the exact same thing for a perfectly tuned motor as it will for a poorly tuned motor.
Yup!

Twistedimg said:
And I may be wrong but with the dual pod mounted up that high aren't the gauges angled wierd? I know the OEM triple podes have them angled a little better towards the drive but the duals are meant to mount lower.
Here's what I see when I sit in the driver's seat. The earlier pic was from a wierd angle. I was trying to eliminate glare from the flash. The trans temp gauge is angled a little off but not by much.
gaugepod22st.jpg

Ive been looking at these myself was wondering Autometers application say through either 96 or 98 depends where you look i have an 01 xj any body know if they will fit.

corbinafly said:
Those are the autometer dual pods. One was cut in half and welded to the other with abs cement then painted. The middle gauge is a fuel pressure gauge. That's why it doesn't match the stock one.:lecture:

K
That would 'splain it - all I could read on the laptop was 'Fuel' and it still looked beer-goggled.
beer-cheers.gif

corbinafly said:
Yup!

Here's what I see when I sit in the driver's seat. The earlier pic was from a wierd angle. I was trying to eliminate glare from the flash. The trans temp gauge is angled a little off but not by much.
gaugepod22st.jpg
Where do you have the temp senser on the trans

mrschendel said:
Where do you have the temp senser on the trans
Well that's the only gauge that I haven't finished the install on yet. Not enough free time these days.
I'm going to take a look at the pan to see if there is room to weld in a bung on the side that won't interfere with anything inside. If there isn't any room then I'll plumb it into the fluid output from the trans going to the cooler as close as practical to the trans.

K

bowhunter said:
Ive been looking at these myself was wondering Autometers application say through either 96 or 98 depends where you look i have an 01 xj any body know if they will fit.

I've got a '00 with the autometer pod. It fits, just has a gap where the earlier A-pillars had an angle and the new ones are curved. No one notices it but me. The VDO vision series gauges match the stock gauges perfectly too.
642174_20.jpg

Back