• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor for 91

jeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a 91 xj sport a few days ago, and it has a hole in the block, and i was woundering what years 4.0 would be a direct swap? 91-98? and this xj has a ax15 would it make any differance if the motor came out of an auto?

If it's an H.O. (don't remember off hand when they started), probably anything from 92(91?) up to probably 97-99 would go in without too much grief. I think it was 2000 that they deep-sixed the distributor, but I haven't a clue whether that would affect the electronics.

If it's a non-HO, I'd go for as close to your MY as you can get - minimize any wiring changes. Also, if you're talking a boneyard non-HO, it may be wise to change out the fuel injectors before firing it up - I've seen stories on this and other boards about those Renix-era injectors causing problems underthe hood as they age...

Also, if you keep your wiring/electronics, virtually any 4.0 will drop in, if you don't mind a couple of minor mods along the way (e.g. coolant temp sensor, etc)

Of course, if you're looking for plug and play (no modifications required), stick with your model year - this would ensure that all the wiring/sensors/electronics/etc would be the same.

Can't help much on the tranny question, but at a guess (which I wouldn't trust any farther than you can throw your rig!), I'd say it shouldn't matter. Of course, if one of the more experienced members should chime in with different info, they're probably more right than I am.

Keep in mind that I'm shooting from the hip here - never swapped an engine, so I'm kinda regurgitating what I've read here. Try a couple of searches as well - you'll probably find better/more accurate info that way. But at least this should start the ball rolling.

Rob

I just completed putting a 4.0 from a 96 Grand Cherokee into my 91 Laredo. Easy swap. I had to stick with the orginal intake, and brackets, but it was very straight forward. I had never swapped a motor before so I read up all I could find on the net and had the manual by my side the whole time. It took a little over three weeks working of and on.

Back