• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody using Farm Boy Designs tail lamps.

Kropper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at upgrading my rear tail lamps, and the nicest looking that I have found are by Farm Boy Designs. I was just wondering how easy was the install and If you are satisfied. I read the directions and it seems simple enough (but then again so do the pictagraphs included in Ikea furniture). I'm looking forward to purchasing them, but just want to get current users opinions. I'll be putting them on a '96xj. Thanks for your input!!

Nope... nobody uses them. We ABUSE them!

I am slightly biased though. I built all the boxes for FamerMatt :laugh3:

Very easy install. Make sure you get the all LED. Deffinatly worth it.

I won a set of FarmerMatt's boxes (early models) at Moab last fall. Mechanically, it's a trivial install, they use the original mounting holes for the plastic housings.

Electrically.... from his instructions, it kind of depends on year. On my 94, I already had an electronic flasher from towing a trailer, so it was just a matter of matching pos/pos and neg/neg for each lamp.

http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/taillights

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it. I'm sold. Next payday I'm ordering a set. (I would have ordered them today but I am realizing how expensive an upcoming wedding is) The cool thing is that the future Mrs. is way understanding and even encourages occasional splurges. (Secretly I think she wants my xj, so the more I do to it....the more she likes it)

i've got a set, and they kick a$$!!

Kropper said:
Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it. I'm sold. Next payday I'm ordering a set. (I would have ordered them today but I am realizing how expensive an upcoming wedding is) The cool thing is that the future Mrs. is way understanding and even encourages occasional splurges. (Secretly I think she wants my xj, so the more I do to it....the more she likes it)

Its not that she wants the XJ she just want the thrill of almost rooling, hope you got tinted widows and a sleeping bag.

I hope they are built better than Rustys tail lights.
Rustys are pretty strong but they dont line up with the bolt holes as much as Id like.
But O well. get some water clear LEDs for them

I have had a set of the Farmboy lights for a month or two... got the all-LED setup.

Easy install and good fit. Wiring up the light elements was simple, even for the non-electricially inclined.

One regret is that the clear reverse lamps aren't as bright as I hoped, so I may just remove them, add two more amber turns for those holes, and add two larger lights beside the licence tag aka Gojeep. I'll find a spot for the clear lights (under the hood?)

I haven't had chance to beat them around on anything, but when I do, I expect they'll hold up fine.

I've got 'em on my rig, full LED setup. Been really happy with them, they've saved me one broken tail light so far.

100_0161.jpg

The only problem I've noticed is that the body will flex so much sometimes that the lights contact the hatch, and they've chipped the fiberglass a bit right at the top inside corners where the tail lights are. I'm going to be taking the dremel to those corners here pretty soon to file them down a bit.

Trail sexy and can take a hit, what else do you want? I've heard from folks behind me that the blinker can't be seen very well when braking and turning but I've yet to be rearended so most folks seem to have figured out.

Back