• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who makes a 190F Thermostat?

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
I searched some of the many cooling threads and found a few said they put in 190F thermostats. Where can I get a 190F thermostat?

The reason is that my stock 195F stat opens just before my cooling fan comes on. I want to the stat to open a bit earlier to let the radiator do its job a bit longer before the fan is needed. The fan and thermostat open times are to close together.

Why not just pick one up from the dealer, $5 and a $1 for the gasket with rtv already on it. I keep three or four around as well as caps, luckily all 3 jeeps take the same parts in that dept.

MachineMan said:
The dealer has a 190F? I though they only has 195F. I noticed Autozone lists a 192F but its really a 195F as stamped on the bottom of it.

Point taken, but +/-5degf in the 195degF range isn't going to make a great deal of difference to cooling. Just out of curiosity, what are you hoping to accomplish with this swap?

MachineMan said:
The dealer has a 190F? I though they only has 195F. I noticed Autozone lists a 192F but its really a 195F as stamped on the bottom of it.

True, but whats a less tan 2% variance gonna do.

5deg might make the difference of the fan turing on or not. The fan turns on only moments after the stock thermostat opens and before the coolant has time to make a complete circulation through the radiator and back. This means that the radiator does not get a chance to cool the coolant on its own before the fans kicks on. Just trying to fine tune things and I like mess'n with stuff.

PM 5-90 and buy his book

then rethink your cooling system...

MachineMan said:
I searched some of the many cooling threads and found a few said they put in 190F thermostats. Where can I get a 190F thermostat?

The reason is that my stock 195F stat opens just before my cooling fan comes on. I want to the stat to open a bit earlier to let the radiator do its job a bit longer before the fan is needed. The fan and thermostat open times are to close together.

The auxiliary electric fan should come on when the gauge reaches ~220*F, and switch off again when it's down to ~200*F. The stock t'stat is 195* and it's at that level for a very good reason; the 4.0 produces its best emissions at that temp. You want the fan to switch off just above the t'stat opening temp. and that's why it's programmed that way from the factory.
If you need a replacement 195* t'stat, buy the Robertshaw balanced unit from http://www.flowkooler.com . It's probably the best there is.

XJ_ranger said:
PM 5-90 and buy his book

then rethink your cooling system...

Yep, 5-90 knows whats up. He came over to help me with a trans problem a few months ago.

I forgot to mention that im running dual electric fans at 4000cfm with a temp switch.

There is real no issue here, Im just try to reduce the frequent temperature oscillations caused by the T-stat and fan timings. The guage goes up to 220+ and the quickly drops to about <190 when the T-stat opens and the fans turn on. That why I was inquiring about a 190F T-Stat to reduce that swing and probably reduce the frequency.

Maybe I will get a thet Robert Shaw stat the Dr. D. recommend since mine is a junk Autozone which probably opens at 195F+/- 10deg anyway.

I've always heard Robert Shaw as well.

Question though, I know alot of people run 180 degree thermos, is that because running the engine a little cooler decreases effeciency but increases performance?

I'm running a 180* Robertshaw t'stat in my stroker but I live in a hot desert climate. For a temperate climate, use a 195* t'stat for faster engine warm up. The low temp. t'stat does keep the engine running cooler (within certain limits) and a lower cylinder head temperature reduces the risk of detonation.

265hp@4900/325lbft@3500, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.7secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

You can ask at any auto parts store for any temp t stat you want. I run a 180 in mine as well as a toggle switch for the fan, because the stock set up sucks. It increased my milage too.

Back