• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ fuel injection problem

Dreamer

NAXJA Forum User
What's up ya'll. I am a member of Southern Jeeps in GA. I know TJ's pretty good but my dad just bought a '90 XJ and i have a few questions:

1. One of the injectors appears to be leaking and smells of fuel. Can this be tightened up or an O-ring be replaced without replacing the entire assembly?

2. It appears to have a lift, problem is i do not know how much. It says Rusty's 300 on the front springs. Any ideas on how much lift this is for purpose of determining largest possible tire size, and if you can answer that as well even better.

Thanks
Chris

Regarding the injectors: Two injectors started leaking on my '90 several years ago. It was not the o-rings but a leak where the two parts of the injector meet. It may just be o-rings but I would go ahead and buy new injectors. It'd probably be prudent to go ahead and change them all out even if you have to replace just one becaue your XJ is about at that age. They are about 40.00 per at Autozone and 150.00 at lindertech.com for 6 reconditioned, warrentied, ones. (this is what I did and they have been great). You can also find deals on Ebay from someone getting rid of stock injectors off of a 5.0 Mustang after they've upgraded. Bonus there because you can get 8 of them for about the price of 2 XJ injectors.
On the lift, they could be either Rusty's 3" springs or 4.5" springs depending on the height of course. Go to Rustysoffroad.com and see if there is a picture of what you have or just give them a call (phone number on website).
Good luck.

on the mustang injectors how many pounds (24#'s?), what year model, or are they pretty generic?

I am thinking 3" because it does not have a SYE. The rear leaf packs are sprung over the axle, is that stock? if not I am thinking this is probably a 2.5" or 3" lift. Are 31's the biggest i can go with this much lift and no problems or fender trimming?

Dreamer,

The injectors used on the Renix XJs are metal and plastic. They are known to leak at the seam between the two halves. I decided 2 years ago to change mine out for safety sake.

I decided to go with new injectors, I found the best price at rockauto.com. I also ordered a new pressure regulator, figured it may be close to failure also.

some say you can remove the fuel rail and keep the hoses connected, I found it easier to to disconnect the hoses. If you disconnect the hoses then you will need to buy a coupling repair kit at your jeep dealer. They run $15 each and you will need 2 of them. When it comes to fuel that cheap insurance.

While you have the pressure bleed off it might be smart money to change the fuel filter, it located back by the tank on the driver's side frame rail.

My recommendation is to change all the injectors, pressure regulator, and fuel line couplings. Fuel filter is optional.

Martin

Injectors: fiveomotorsports.com,they sell new and take offs both guaranteed.I have the new ones,mustang 19 lb.,they have 4 pin spray versus stock single pin spray pattern.I think I paid 136.00 awhile back.

Stock height:I was told for my '90 to measure form center of hub to bottom of fender flare.should be stock at 17.5" in front and 17.0"in rear.Mine is still stock and has these exact measurements.

Back