• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

very strange lights blinking

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
OK, last night I replaced my exhaust with an OEM one from the muffler back.
started it and sounded good.
This morning I opened up the door to the XJ and the hazzard lights and dash lights started blinking. Not the "check engine' lights, but the background lighting that comes on when the headlights are on. It illuminated the radio, odometer, etc. And this was with the engine off. Blink blink blink. I started it up and it went away. Turned it off, and started it again. Hasn't done it since.
Whats up with that?

What year etc.? To me it doesn't sound like it's related at all. Did you do any work inside? Did a tweaker break in during the night and try to steal your radio and screw up your wiring?

Sorry bout that. Its a 98 Cherokee sport. No one broke in. It was locked in the garage all night. Didn't do a thing to the electrical wiring.
Just opened the door, and blink blink blink.
It only happened once. I have driven it 3 times already today with no problems at all.

bustednutz said:
Didn't do a thing to the electrical wiring.
It's a stretch, but did you weld the exhaust on? Was the battery still connected at that point?

Nope - I was thinking more along the lines of 'lectricity coursing through the frame and causing issues.

it was the normal frequency of the hazzard lights blinking or the turn signals blinking. No faster or slower.
Now my power window won't go up or down on the drivers side. The motor and cable work, but the motorized cable has become disconnected from the window mount inside the door. Trying now to get that fixed. Major pain that thing is.

bustednutz said:
it was the normal frequency of the hazzard lights blinking or the turn signals blinking. No faster or slower.
Now my power window won't go up or down on the drivers side. The motor and cable work, but the motorized cable has become disconnected from the window mount inside the door. Trying now to get that fixed. Major pain that thing is.
How much of the exhaust did you replace and work on? Cause there is that main wiring harness that comes into the cab through the firewall is on the drivers side of the firewall right where the exhaust comes down (more or less). Did you damage the wire loom maybe?

Back