• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd cutting off problem

tarheel99

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 Clasic 4.0 cuts out for a couple of seconds if I make a hard left turn (90 degrees at 15 mph) when I have less than 1/4 tank of gas (never had it happen with a full tank). I'm afraid the answer is going to be "Fuel pump screen / filter /pickup" or some such but I thought I'd see if anybody had seen anything like this before digging into it.

Mine's done the same thing but only with a few Gs on the turn. It happens at the bottom of the tank (mine is dry at 1/4 on the guage).

I've heard that most do. Is it instantly or does it take a second or so? Also does it die completely or does it keep running but a little rough for a second?

What's happening is your gas tank is low and the fuel pickup tube is at the bottom of the tank towards one side or end so when you turn all the gas goes to whatever side gravity pulls it to and away from the pickup tube, air gets sucked in and violla.

Back