• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck door lock mechanism

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so it looks like I got some mud into my drivers side rear door lock mechanism. I've taken it appart at work yesterday and cleaned it out with compressed air (from a can) and wd40 (didn't have anything else handy to lubricate it or clean it with). Anyways it worked for a short piece of time and now it's getting stuck again (the lock/unlock lever gets stuck).
1. I'm planning on taking it out of hte door again and hitting it with a stream of compressed air from my compressor to clean it out (get any particules out of htere that are causing problems). Anything else that might be worth trying to clean it with (btw, it's an electrical door lock so whatever I do should take that into account and not cause any harm).
2. What should I grease it with and what is the best way to get grease inside of it?

I've got the same thing going on with mine - I had to break in using a piece of wire, and now it only locks from the inside. You may have dislodged the lock cylinder to latch rod when you were cleaning it, which is causing it to bind. Dunno - just a thought...

Chancer said:
I've got the same thing going on with mine - I had to break in using a piece of wire, and now it only locks from the inside. You may have dislodged the lock cylinder to latch rod when you were cleaning it, which is causing it to bind. Dunno - just a thought...

Actually I think I had something stuck inside: I took it out again, cleaned it and then used some marine grease and now it works real smooth.

I had a problem with one of these that broke a small and hard-to-see plastic part inside. I got it open, took it all apart, and it seemed to work fine until I locked it again. Then it wouldn't unlock. So try it a few times before you put the panel back in.

I've also had them just get rusty and cruddy and work fine after a good bath, so hopefully that's all that's wrong with yours.

Back