• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking/Clicking sound from front axel

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Only when 4WD is engaged i hear this really bad ticking/clicking sound from the front axel. When I speed up in 4WD the sound also speeds up. There is a locker in the front but im not sure what kind it is but it's an automatic locker and it's a Dana 30 axel. Any suggestion on what the problem might be?

:us:

1. is there even tire pressure between both wheels? if no, adjust accordingly and see if the noise goes away
2. if 1 doesn't fix it, check the lube level: if low add (better yet do a drain and refill)
3. consider popping the cover off and examine things inside: while draining make sure there is nothing that flows out with the lube (like broken or chipped parts)
4. it'd be good to know what kind of locker you have up front as that might help with diagnosis and or getting parts: if it's one of the lunchbox lockers you might want to consider getting a set of new springs for it and replacing all of them

Tire preassure is ok 99.9% sure because I check it last weekend BUT I will check and adjust according again just to make sure.

Thanks for the advice I will drain and refill the pumpkin this weekend. Maybe I will take the cover off and look at it. I have never actually seen (in real life) a locker out of the differential I have only seen pictures in magazines. How can I tell what type of locker it is by looking at it? My dad is pretty good at this stuff maybe he can tell. All I know about the locker is that it works VERY good off road. I have not broken the tires loose once on the trail and it's a b**** driving with the locker on the road I just take it slow around corners and go easy on the gas when accelarating after a corner it's cool now just something to get used to.

fdsa487 said:
Thanks for the advice I will drain and refill the pumpkin this weekend. Maybe I will take the cover off and look at it. I have never actually seen (in real life) a locker out of the differential I have only seen pictures in magazines. How can I tell what type of locker it is by looking at it? My dad is pretty good at this stuff maybe he can tell. All I know about the locker is that it works VERY good off road. I have not broken the tires loose once on the trail and it's a b**** driving with the locker on the road I just take it slow around corners and go easy on the gas when accelarating after a corner it's cool now just something to get used to.
Something definately sounds wrong: the front locker (automatic one) should not engage when in 2wd. Your rear would kick you over a bit, but unless there is torque applied to it from teh driveshaft it should not lock.
As to identifying it, once you pop the cover, take couple pics and post them.

Take the front DS, check the u-joint and the double cardan joint. Pop the diff cover and look for busted teeth and chunks of metal. Also check you axle u-joints. I've had bad joints make clicking noses in the past and on in 4WD.

Alright thanks for the advice I have my weekend cut out for me. One more thing to add though i got the type of locker wrong it is a full time locker that is why both tires (when off the ground) spin in the same direction.

fdsa487 said:
Alright thanks for the advice I have my weekend cut out for me. One more thing to add though i got the type of locker wrong it is a full time locker that is why both tires (when off the ground) spin in the same direction.
OK, you got 3 choices:
1. automatic
2. selecteable
3. spool/welded spiders

1. WIth automatic if you raise it up, depending on the locker you test it differently based on the locker you have, but in general what you do is you test for it opening up. For example: with drivetrain engaged you spin both tires forward and then stop while holding both forward and then you start spinning one back: you should feel it open up and ratchet internally (that worked for no spin and detroit for me)

2. WIth the seleteable it will spin like open diff when unlocked, to lock it you would have to throw a swtich of sorts or pull a lever and then both will spin with the same speed in the same direction always.

3. They will always spin in the same direction at the same speed.

Thanks for the locker info... I'll try that this up-coming weekend. I know it's not selectable but i do really think that it is full time. Reason being is that (even though im not in 4WD) I can feel it around the corners and if i accelerate in a corner the tires skip sideways across the road (AND THE REAR) because there is also a locker there. It's CRAZY in the rain and dangerous. I'll let you know my results as to the front and rear lockers after this weekend.

*Test... I ENGAGE the front Axel (put it in 4WD) and spin tires forward then stop. Spin the tires backwards and listen/feel for the locker disengaging/engaging.

AND

I can also do the same for the rear. Is this correct.

Back