• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple noob questions...

Smokey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, y'all. I posted this over at JF but didn't get all the info I was looking for... Hoping y'all can help.

I'm piecing a lift together, 'bout got all my parts, but unsure on a few things-

For caster, I've got RE adj lower arms. I was going to get an angle-finder, find a fixed point on the knuckles and reset it to that with the lower arms. Is that correct ?? How do you know when it's EXACTLY the same, side to side ??

How 'bout setting up the adj track bar- do diagnal measuring ??

For pinion angle, am I supposed to set the pinion straight with the driveshaft or set it an equal degree out, opposite of the yoke ?? Again- how do you get it EXACT ??

What's up with shackles- should hey point in, out, straight down

Also, I need some bushings and RE has a few different sets in their catalog available- Currie Johnnies, RE Super-Rides, RE Super-Flex, Daystar Polys.... will any of these retrofit into stock upper control arms ?? Should I box my uca's ??

My budget's about blown- ain't there some TJ or YJ brake lines we can use for extended lines ?!!? Any other tips ?!?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I want to set it up right the first time !!

Thanks.

Smokey said:
For caster, I've got RE adj lower arms. I was going to get an angle-finder, find a fixed point on the knuckles and reset it to that with the lower arms. Is that correct ?? How do you know when it's EXACTLY the same, side to side ??
I kind of eyeballed it and it seems to work fine. You can also use some of the values from the following table for a starting point:
Lift...........Lower Control Arms/Upper Control Arms

Decimal Fraction Decimal Fraction

Stock..........15.75....15 ¾.......15.00....15
2”.............15.92....16.........14.88....15
3”.............16.09....16.........14.92....15
4”.............16.33....16 3/8.....15.03....15
4.5”...........16.47....16 ½.......15.11....15
5”.............16.62....16 5/8.....15.21....15 ¼
6”.............16.97....17.........15.44....15 ½
7”.............17.36....17 3/8.....15.74....15 ¾
8”.............17.81....17 ¾.......16.09....16
9”.............18.30....18 ¼.......16.50....16 ½
10”............18.82....18 ¾.......16.96....17
How 'bout setting up the adj track bar- do diagnal measuring ??
After you finish your lift and have the trackbar removed, set the vehicle on the ground (as in have it sit on the wheels), then jump on the front of it and bounce it around. Idea is that the front will center itself pretty well over the axle and all that you will have left to do is to adjust the trackbar to fit as it sits (remember that you will want to adjust the draglink and tierod afterwards as rest of your alignment will get screwed up).

For pinion angle, am I supposed to set the pinion straight with the driveshaft or set it an equal degree out, opposite of the yoke ?? Again- how do you get it EXACT ??
If you don't have SYE, the output shaft and pinion have to be parallel to each other. If you have SYE, you adjust the pinion to point a degree or two below the output shaft of the tcase.

What's up with shackles- should hey point in, out, straight down
they will point where they will point. You want them pointing towards the back, but if you're also putting in new leaf packs they might be pointing a bit vertical in the beginning as the leafs aren't settled yet.

Also, I need some bushings and RE has a few different sets in their catalog available- Currie Johnnies, RE Super-Rides, RE Super-Flex, Daystar Polys.... will any of these retrofit into stock upper control arms ?? Should I box my uca's ??
For the axle end of the UCA's go to napa and get new regular bushings for about $10 to $15 for the pair. The other end.. well I think you might want to look in the quadratec catalog and just get new stock uppers or see if anyone has any take offs to sell or giveaway. Btw, if you are running stock uppers, you're on the right track: BOX THEM. I've both seen and heard of them folding over on each other causing whole sorts of headaches on the trail.
My budget's about blown- ain't there some TJ or YJ brake lines we can use for extended lines ?!!? Any other tips ?!?
For the rear the YJ line is perfect. For the front, look at your brake lines as they angle towards the back towards that bolt which bolts it to the body. Unbolt that bolt, and straighten the line out to go parallel to the shock: this will give you a fair increase in length for the front. Depending on how high you're going with the lift and your jeep it might give you enough length.

Lastly, there is one more great resource you should check out: Click Me

Back