• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really, How important is it to Use Dextron III???

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
A few months back i put just regular chrysler ATF +3 in my jeep when i change the pan fluid/filter/gasket, not the dextron stuff they say to use. Ever since then when cold it will not shift out of first gear right, kinda seems like the torque converter is engaging in the higher RPM's of first gear when its about to shift. And now i have no reverse, well i do a little but i really really gotta pretty much floor it to reverse at all just because it slips so badly. When it slips in reverse the driveline kinda shakes pretty bad, everyonce and a while with some tampering of the pedal reverse engages and i can go like normal, but most of the time its slipping horribly. Oh and it works better in 4wd then it does in 2wd for some reason. I do alot of my own work but trannys just ain't my department.

Thanx,

Eric

Hmmm, I'm pretty by the book when it comes to auto trannies. If it calls for a specific fluid thats what I use and I don't stray from that. If it worked well before the change, did not work well after the change then it was something with the change.
The only place I have strayed was to use Mobil-1 gear oil in my AX-15 but so far *knock on wood* have noticed no adverse effects after 125,000mi.

Alright Eric, flush it out!

Take a bottle of Berryman's B-12, (one pint) pour it in the trans.

Run engine for 15 - 20 minutes, shifting gears one gear per minute (run the gear for a minute), go through ALL gears there, Park though 1.

Kill engine, drain the trans while HOT.

You might want to go the extra mile and replace the filter since you filled it with the other fluid.

Fill it up and go..you're set.

Sequoia

The ATF+3 has different friction characteristics (slippier) than the M/D III. It should be OK after you change it.

Noboy is making a fortune off ATF's by running different types.

There's a reason for the different types, and it is EXACTLY what Eric has experienced.
The engineers designed each transmission for a specific ATF, and they are NOT interchangeable.

'Nuf said, descending from high-horse. :D

-Rick

Back