• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacement rear dome switch source?

bobzemuda

NAXJA Forum User
My rear dome light isn't function. I pulled it, and it's a faulty pushbutton switch. The switch itself says eaton 399

Any idea on where I might source this instead of having to track down the whole dome light.

I can't find a salvage yard that says they have what I need.

I had the same problem and took another light from another rig at the wrecking yard, pulled the switch and re-wired it in to the existing light housing.

I used a little toggle I screwed in there. Got it at Radio Shack. Looks ghetto, works fine.

Another item on the "Parts that break on XJ's with regularity" list.

bobzemuda said:
My rear dome light isn't function. I pulled it, and it's a faulty pushbutton switch. The switch itself says eaton 399

Any idea on where I might source this instead of having to track down the whole dome light.

I can't find a salvage yard that says they have what I need.
What year is your XJ??
This might help if it's an earlier one.
http://www.jeepclub.co.uk/features.cfm?id=14

I've replaced mine twice, the first time I found a replacement unit at a yard, cost about $15. Last time, I couldn't find one around here so I tried the stealership, I don't remember the exact amount, but it was over $40 for the whole unit, and only came in beige to boot. I found the manufacturers web site, but they didn't appear to sell individual switches, only bulk. I bought a "mini" rocker switch from Autozone and enlarged the hole in the housing carefully with a dremel tool until it fit. Crimped some terminals on the end and wired it up. Works like a charm. And looks almost factory.
360110072czZbbh_th.jpg

Back