• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Bumpstop lengths

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I'm going to be at about 4" with 31" tires and want to get a basic idea where to start for bumpstops. My stock ones are pretty dry rotted, and I would guess junkyard options around here are in about the same condition so I want to go Poly. . .

Rear (originals were 3") = I'm thinking Rustys 2" extended for $28 (plus a rather high $12 for shipping). I figure I can flex it then fab a little block if needed for more length?

Front is what I'm having a hard time with = the OEM isolators look bad, so I was thinking Daystar extended replacements (but I can't find anywhere that says how much longer these are) and was planning to use hockey pucks in the bottom if necessary (How many?).

Ideas, Opinions

I got the Rustys ones cause the were the cheapest around (although I think they were only about an inch longer than the old ones, not the claimed 2", and yes shipping is ridiculously expensive from him).

I am going to have to fab up some square tubing spacers to get the correct amount of bumpstopping but that is gonna have to wait a little b/c three of the thee stupid rusted on bolts decided to snap off flush with the unibody despite being pb blasted numerous times.

dude, hockey pucks. that is all you need. 1 " a piece, stack as many as you need. use a 3/16" coarse thread bolt and tap threads into your spring perch on the axle.

Daystar's front and rear poly stops are about 1.5" longer than stock. RE now sells some poly front XJ stops that are 1" longer than stock.

If you go with hockey pucks, I wouldn't stack more than 3 per side, otherwise the drooping coil will catch on it and try to pull them off. I'm running 3" pucks from RE and the coils catch on the very top. I originally had a hockey puck epoxied to the top for more length before I got some Daystar poly stops, but the hockey puck didn't last long.

DSC02762.jpg

with 4" of lift hockey pucks will be just fine...don't worry about it. you only need 2 pucks per side. and use the stock uppers.

Last edited:
cherowagon said:
use a 3/16" coarse thread bolt and tap threads into your spring perch on the axle.

3/16" coarse thread would be a 10-24 machine screw... much too small to hold a bumpstop puck in place. I would go with a 3/8-24 to ensure enough thread engagement with the spring pad.

Lawn Cher' said:
3/16" coarse thread would be a 10-24 machine screw... much too small to hold a bumpstop puck in place. I would go with a 3/8-24 to ensure enough thread engagement with the spring pad.

nice catch, i did mean 3/8" not 3/16". What I use is 3/8-16.

Back