• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Canoe Rack?

OUG

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to carry a 15'-16' canoe on top of my 98xj. I still have a factory roof rack. I know Thule/Yakima has an entire system to replace the roof rack with theirs and attach their canoe carrier. Does anyone have any other suggestions or expierence with this?

Is there a specific reason that you want to replace the rack? I have an 18' coleman that I carry on my stock rack. I put rubber strips between the aluminum boat gunnals and the rack then rachet strap it down. Other than a tornado, it doesn't go anywhere. I travel 490 miles multiple times a year this way.

If you are set on replacing it, then go for it. Yakima makes good stuff. Just remember, if you replace it and find you want to carry something else besides a canoe, you may have some problems.

the thule rack is a bit more stout than the factory rack. If you have the money laying around and want to do it, its great. Although the factory rack works great as well. I find my factory rack flexs and i don't like that.

Just remember, if you replace it and find you want to carry something else besides a canoe, you may have some problems.
?? what kind of problems? no problem with Bikes, Skis, snowboards, kayaks, canoes. Load bags in a box, or throw a basket up there. Only problem I could see possible is $$

Yakima is cool if you like made in mexico.

DSCF0245.jpg

I carry a two-person ocean kayak on my stock rack. Never felt like the stock rack was inadequate.

What is really funny about this picture is that I was about to go on the worst canoe trip of my life!
Look at how low the water level is on my tires!
I was taking my nephew down a good conoing creek (in the spring and fall or a wet summer). This particular summer it was really low and I ended up draggin him in the canoe for about 12 miles , covered in biting flies....it was BAD!

I appologize for the confusion. Exactly as you intended I don't want to replace the roof rack. My question should have gone along the lines of "Does anyone have any expierence other then the Thule/Yakima system?"

Mopar used to sell some utility bars that are much stiffer than the factory cross rails and they fit right into the existing track. I have a pair on my wife's '01 and they seem pretty good, although we haven't really used them for anything.

I've been known to carry five kayaks on top of the XJ at a time, and never lost one. The stock XJ roof rack is all you should need for one canoe, but if you've got a hard on for an upgrade, get the standard Yakima roof bars (the gutter-pinchers) and a couple of foam blocks to snuggle with your canoe.

The real issue is learning to tie it down right. You know you've got it right when you can shove on whatever's on your roof, and it doesn't move unless the Jeep does.

See you on the water!:)

Yeah as you can see in my above picture....that is a stock roof rack, I use two bungies across the top and one on either end, one going down to the hitch and the other down to the tie rod...like the post above this one...It doesn't move unless the jeep moves.
THe rack flexes a tiny bit, but not much. My problem now is that my rear roof rack bar doesn't want to slide back and forth. Getting worn out i geuss!?!

Thank You

Thanks for the insight everyone. If you've carried 5 kayaks on your factory roof rack, what is the load limit on a factory system?

Couldn't give you any specs. The factory rack's fine for one canoe or a couple of kayaks, but I do reccomend upgrading if you're carrying more than three. I just doesn't "feel" right with more than that, although I did it anyhow.

Now how am I gonna strap down that piano....?

theschwarz1 said:
What is really funny about this picture is that I was about to go on the worst canoe trip of my life!
Look at how low the water level is on my tires!
I was taking my nephew down a good conoing creek (in the spring and fall or a wet summer). This particular summer it was really low and I ended up draggin him in the canoe for about 12 miles , covered in biting flies....it was BAD!

You shoulda put the Nephew in the canoe and tight that sucker to the back bumper and driven him down the creek for 20 miles.

You can buy MightyMounts from Yakima which mount their Gunwhale Brackets to the stock roof rack.

Wanna buy a set of gunwahle brackets? I have a set for sale.

Back