• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 44 under an MJ

tetsulo

NAXJA Member #1239
I've got a line on an XJ 44. I want to grab it for my MJ. Is the width between the spring perches the same on either vehicle? Or will the spring perches need to be relocated? I know that the MJ is spring under vs the spring over on the XJ. Figure I can pick up this axle and rebuild it and see if my 35 quits under the stroker.

thanks.

Matthew

Well, you said you know the MJ is spring under and the XJ is spring over, so unless you plan to do a spring-over conversion on the MJ for about a 5" lift, you have to relocate the perches anyway. But if your plan is to do a spring over conversion, unfortunately the spacing of the perches on the XJ is not the same as the MJ so you're still going to have to move the perches.

don't forget about those shock mounts and e-brake cables.

Eagle said:
unfortunately the spacing of the perches on the XJ is not the same as the MJ so you're still going to have to move the perches.

that's what I was afraid of....

thanks for the info!

matthew

tetsulo said:
that's what I was afraid of....

thanks for the info!

matthew

get it. it's a very simple swap.

Kernel said:
get it. it's a very simple swap.

I'll have to find some qualified welders in my area and get some quotes.

Thanks!

I did some searches and couldn't find any write ups anywhere...

tetsulo

tetsulo said:
I'll have to find some qualified welders in my area and get some quotes.

Thanks!

I did some searches and couldn't find any write ups anywhere...

tetsulo

it's like any other rear axle swap. maybe try a spring over search.

xj 44 in an mj.
47b4cf22b3127cce9a52439af52500000016108UaNmrRo24

not to be a $hit but it's purty easy..... if you have the tools and a flat area to work.

edit: you have to remove everything if the donors and xj even if your doing a so or su.

Kernel said:
not to be a $hit but it's purty easy..... if you have the tools and a flat area to work.

Yeah..I could do the actual physical axle swap. Just not the welding aspect.

thanks for your help.

Matthew

don't let the welding scare you. It really isn't that big of a deal. Just weld a little bit at a time and don't get the axle too hot. Weld an inch at a time and then let it cool off. If not you couldl warp the axle. Good luck!

the difference in the perch width is about 3/4 on each side or 1 1/2 overall. is this that much that he should be worried about moving the perches? just wondering i didn't move it when i did mine, nothing seems to bind up so i figured it should be o.k. please correct me if i am wrong. it quit possibly is true that i am an idiot.

chubbyhick said:
the difference in the perch width is about 3/4 on each side or 1 1/2 overall. is this that much that he should be worried about moving the perches? just wondering i didn't move it when i did mine, nothing seems to bind up so i figured it should be o.k. please correct me if i am wrong. it quit possibly is true that i am an idiot.
like many things, it's not the end of the world, but it isn't the "right" way. it may be hindering your flex, and you will likely wear through leaf bushings prematurely.

chubbyhick said:

center pins would worry me this way. easy to replace but can be a pita on the trail..... especialy for the poeple behind you. :wave:

davidt said:
don't let the welding scare you. It really isn't that big of a deal. Just weld a little bit at a time and don't get the axle too hot. Weld an inch at a time and then let it cool off. If not you couldl warp the axle. Good luck!

I haven't welded since high school, but the biggest problem for me with the welding is not having a welder! :)

matthew

tetsulo said:
I haven't welded since high school, but the biggest problem for me with the welding is not having a welder! :)

matthew
2 or 3 batteries, some 6011, and some jumper cables.

seriously.

do about half the welding on each perch like that and drive it to a welding shop gently and let them finish it off.

BrettM said:
like many things, it's not the end of the world, but it isn't the "right" way. it may be hindering your flex, and you will likely wear through leaf bushings prematurely.
What he said ... x2

Back