• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'94 Cherokee Transfer Case

jmk222

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '94 Cherokee 4.0L, Automatic with a bad transfer case and was wondering if the transfer case from an '88 with the 4.0l Auto would be compatible.

Well yes and no.

2 main issues.
1) Speedo cable on 94 is electronic while 88 is cable driven. YOu can switch that housing piece from the 94 to the 88s.
2) The spline count from the 88 is more than likely a 21 while your 94 is a 23 spline whihc wont mate to your 94 tranny. A solution is to swap out the shafts.

Pete

It's far simpler to swap the trans input gear to 23 spline, but if both have the same trans and tcase, then swap both together for simplicity and change the externals so they mate. The other option is a different tcase. I am going to double check what I am going to say next. Do you need an upgraded case anyways? With a 7/8" thick clocking ring as a spacer (I found one cheap) you can put a NP208J (from some '80 to '88 full size Jeeps which is 23 spline) behind the AX-15 or AW4 23 spline ('91 up) and have a VERY strong setup with non slipyoke stock.
They also use a NP219 ('80-early '82), NP229 (mid '82 to '91), NP228 (used '86ish. Same as NP229, but no viscous aka "posi" coupler) and for real grins and giggles, if you are seriously going offroad with it, the NV241OR from an '03 Rubicon (or aftermarket from jbconversions.com ) gives you the non-slipyoke with 4:1 low range stock and they were originally designed for diesels so they have strength.

carnuck said:
They also use a NP219 ('80-early '82), NP229 (mid '82 to '91), NP228 (used '86ish. Same as NP229, but no viscous aka "posi" coupler)
Dunno about the 219, but the 228 and 229 are identical except that the 229 uses a viscous coupling and the 228 uses an internal differential. Both are full-time 4WD in high range. There is no locked high range on either box.

Back