• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lunch box locker in a d44

mikeyl

NAXJA Forum User
i recently got a d44 from a 87 xj. i don't have the money to re-gear both ends and install selectable lockers just yet. i picked up a quickloc that should install easily(2hours my butt!). the problem is that the pinyon shaft hits the ring gear so i can't remove it to get the gears out. if i remove the carrier will i have to re adjust the backlash? or should it be ok if i keep all the parts in the same order/position? also, any idea what the torque is for the ring gear and the carrier bearing caps in case i can do this?

lol dennis, i kinda figured that when i took the carrier caps off and it wouldn't budge. and chuck, yes the pin hits the teeth on the 3.55 gears so it's a definate ring removal. "2 hours whith normal hand tools?" i must have all abnormal hand tools.....

Put a wrench on one of your ring gear bolts and turn your pinoin. The wrench lodging against the housing will start to force the carrier out. Once it's about halfway out you can pry it out with a stout screwdriver. If that doesn't work for you, hook a come along to your rear bumper and wrap a small strap around your carrier and pull. Use a soft faced hammer to smack it back in. Make sure you put the bearing caps back in exactly how you took them out.

If you don't want to go through that hassle, you can grind the ring gear teeth off that are in the way as long as it's less than .25" or so of interference. That way, when you blow the thing up you don't have to go through the whole carrier removal process again.

Sean

Count on Sean to think ahead to the next bit of trail carnage.

A man after my own heart.....

CRASH

mikeyl said:
lol dennis, i kinda figured that when i took the carrier caps off and it wouldn't budge. and chuck, yes the pin hits the teeth on the 3.55 gears so it's a definate ring removal. "2 hours whith normal hand tools?" i must have all abnormal hand tools.....

Sorry, I checked out my D44 carrier and I'll have to do the same. But I'm also regearing mine, no extra work.

Back