• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help, vehicle dead at 7-Day Store!

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep just died on me when I went to get food for lunch. No click, no crank, nothing. My gauges work but the battery gauge shows only 9 or 10 volts. Its been showing that for a while now and its been starting slowly on occasion. The battery is less than 6 months old, just cleaned the NSS 6 months ago. My reverse lights come on when the ignition is on and I put it in reverse. Last time my NSS was bad I had no reverse lights. Its a 96 with the 4.0 and AW4. The only electrical changes I've made were the addition of a set of driving lights and a small amp for my stereo. No other extras on there. Could a bad ground on the amp or driving lights cause a problem?

BlackSport96 said:
My Jeep just died on me when I went to get food for lunch. No click, no crank, nothing. My gauges work but the battery gauge shows only 9 or 10 volts. Its been showing that for a while now and its been starting slowly on occasion. The battery is less than 6 months old, just cleaned the NSS 6 months ago. My reverse lights come on when the ignition is on and I put it in reverse. Last time my NSS was bad I had no reverse lights. Its a 96 with the 4.0 and AW4. The only electrical changes I've made were the addition of a set of driving lights and a small amp for my stereo. No other extras on there. Could a bad ground on the amp or driving lights cause a problem?
Take a volt meter to the battery and measure it. If it's low, try swapping another battery in or getting a jump and see if it starts up. While I was building the red jeep, I killed the battery in it and it behaved in a similar way. I had another battery to try so I hokked it up and it started right up.

put the vehicle in park
turn the key to on position
take a lead of wire approx 6-8 ft
attach one end to the baterry positive
take the other end (careful its live )
and touch that to the little bolt on the starter (pos side ..its grounded to the chassis)
it it fires up then itss the nss
if not its either the starter or the battrey
put the jumper cable on or a new battrey
and try the wire trick if still no turn its the starter

you can change it there LIke i did one day
or tow it to a shop or home

I tried shorting the terminals on the ground together and got nothing so I was thinking either starter, or power line to starter. I hope its not the battery because I just replaced it...I think I need an alternator though so it may have killed the battery. But I wasn't getting any cranking power out of it even though my lights and stereo were working.

takes a whole lot more amps to crank over the endgine than it does to illuminate some bulbs and a stereo
first thing to do is use a good battery to try and start the jeep
yes if yoiur alternator is bad the battery would die bad alt=dead battery

close to dead batteries have a tendency to have a slight recharge affter sitting for a couple hours
soemtimes just enough to get a few cranks over on a engine

I know an alternator will kill a battery cause if the alt isn't charging the battery then the engine runs off the battery and kills it. There was absolutely no cranking and the lights were full-strength. I went back after work and still nothing, the relays were good no fuses to be found so I hit the starter with a hammer. It started right up. Problem was a dead spot on the starter so I will be getting a new starter ASAP.
BTW, thanks for the wire trick. We tried that too and still nothing so that was a clue and half that its probably the starter. All we got was some good sparks off the terminal...:D

Sounds like what I went through 6 months ago with my starter - I started carrying a hammer within reach of the driver's seat and turning the key before I even sat down so I'd know whether I had to go whack the starter or not.

Replacement is the way to go on that; the Auto Hobby Shop should have a good deal on them or be able to go get one if they don't.

I just bought a reman gear-reduction unit from Auto-Zone with a lifetime warranty on it. I tried goin to the hobby shop last night to change it and forgot they were closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays...oh well. I'm gonna give it a try in the alley behind my apartment complex today after work...

Just be sure to disconnect the battery negative terminal before you start. That big wire to the starter is always hot -- it's only the small one that's switched by the relay.

Back