• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
how do you take these fawkers out?
these are on a HP d44 from a 76 f-150 if that matters - stock ford outters

here is my best guess:

pry here:
5kezop

and take the top off, then pound the bottom out...
tried pounding on the top one to see if the bottom would fall out, but no dice...

here is a picture from another angle if anyone wants to ad an arrow and tell me where to pry or whatever...
5kezyd

i put this in MOD incase these were different than the d30 ball joints...

xjoe said:
Ball joint press?
do i need one of thoes? cant i do it someother ghetto way without buying some POS HF tool?

Go rent a balljoint press. You may be able to get the balljoint out without one, but you will have one helluva time getting the new one in without damaging it if you don't use the press.

XJ_ranger said:
do i need one of thoes? cant i do it someother ghetto way without buying some POS HF tool?
i don't know what part houses yopu have locally, but I go to auto zone they have tools that you can use. You pay for it then take it back for a full refund or keep it. Or you might have to rent one. you might get them out but you probably won't get them in correcly without damaging something(or yourself)

ok,
ill check that out tomorrow while i am getting the metal for the brackets...

Ive helped get one out of a Chevy 44 with lots of fast break and a bfh. But we didnt care if they were damaged or not, so I wouldnt really recomend this way.

Autozoneout here lends tool. Just leave a deposit, when you bring the tool back you get all of it back. You may not have Autozone back there but may have a similar type set up as an option from one of the other large chains.

BTW, I agree with you on the POS HF tool, buuuuut I bought one in spite of my better judgment. Thing's slicker than snot and seems to be of reasonagle quality for what it is, basically a gear puller w/o the pivot on the arms.

Tim

Just in case you have never used a ball-joint press. Once you tighten the press to the point that you start looking for the breaker bar. Hit the knuckle with hammer to relieve the stress. This may give you another 1/8 turn, and repeat with hammer.

take the clips off the back side of the the ball joint (side opposite the tappered shaft) and use a press to pop um out . i pulled the clips off mine and hit it with a hammer and it moved so i just banged it the rest of the way out with a drift and hammer worked fine too.

I'd recomend a press... Makes it much easier... For the money the HF isn't a bad tool, IMO. Heat is also your friend - just don't use too much to damage/weaken the knuckle...

Also - put the new ball joints in the freezer, this will make them smaller, and therefore easier to install...

Will.

Ball joint press is about your only option. I'd pay money to see someone attempt to pry one out with a screw driver.

I broke my bench vice trying to press my new ones in. Your best bet is to rent a press, or have them pressed in at a machine shop.

-Scott

Just changed them on a 76 chevy front and yes they are fun to get out. Rented a ball joint press from auto zone for $100. Well worth the money especially since you get your deposit back. Hint when putting news one back in do the top first. I did the bottom and had a fun time trying to jig up the press to do the top one. I would recommend an air gun too. It's a lot easier to pull a trigger while holding the knuckle than screwing with a socket wrench or wrench.

cool thanks guys
looks like ill head to HF for the 30.00 ball joint press....

Back