• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck Rotor... any alternative removal means

wilcharl

NAXJA Forum User
i have a stuck brake rotor after a caliper locked up... when this happend the 2 hrs later the rim was still to hot to touch 5 hrs later it was still warm so it got pretty gosh darn hot.... anyways

besides the usual BFH and PBblaster any alternatives... i dont have access to a hot wrench to heat it up so thats out... some ideas i had were using a 3 jaw puller does anyone know if they amke them big enough or running some grade 8 bolts from behind thru the caliper mounting bolts to push Mr. Rotor forward

I want to get him off so I can replace him (i am sure at this point he is warped)

The other thing if anyone knows the asnwer i cant figure out how the caliper froze how it did

Here was the deal.. the inboard pad was bent and had an indentation wehre the lower caliper bolt had gone into the pad bending the pad causing it to stick

any idea how the caliper bolt cold interfear to cause that?

Give PB Blaster a chance to soak in and work, soak it up, then get a hammer and pound the rotor from behind and it will give and come off, there really is no other way, puller will not work as the rotor slips over the lug bolts on the hub

I would advise against a puller, you may pull your hub assembly apart if it is rusted on that good. Happened to me when I used a three arm external type gear puller thing... I was replacing the hub so it wasnt a big deal.

Cory

might be a good excuse to replace the hub and ujoint behind it :p

Get the caliper off if you did not do that already, soak the thing in power blaster and let it set for a few hours, repeating the treatment. Put a couple of the lug nuts back on a few turns, enough to catch the rotor when it does release and does not fly off hitting you or something else. I prefer a deadblow hammer for this, pick a spot where you can get repeated good hits and start hitting from behind, rotate the rotor as you go. Just keep hitting and rotating and it should eventually come off. You can also alternate between a lot of blows from behind and a few from the front on the opposite side.
I saw once or twice a guy who made a plate that covered the lugs and he put a 4 jaw puller on, took up tension and started hitting, couple of turns, more hits, more turns and eventually it came off, he also used plain lug nuts to keep it from flying off..

Back