• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

longarms

jeepxj89

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone. was just wondering if any of you who have longarms and or have made your own could you post some pics of the build or the finished products? thank ya

search, this is covered like 5 times a day!

But since I haven't posted any pictures of my new toys yet, why not!! Just finished(almost finsihed) a full width swap, and Rock Krawler Long arms! Here are some pictures, still have work to do. I installed the Upper Control arm on the passanger side rather then the drivers side like the instructions called for. Here are some pictures

Still need to cut off the stock lower mounts!
3%20Untitled-7.jpg

3%20Untitled-9.jpg

Another inch or so in the back and it should fit 37s nicely!! :wierd:
3%20Untitled-6.jpg

The rest can be found here: http://www.schwabdesigns.com/jeep/axles/

RalphXJ said:
search, this is covered like 5 times a day!

But since I haven't posted any pictures of my new toys yet, why not!! Just finished(almost finsihed) a full width swap, and Rock Krawler Long arms! Here are some pictures, still have work to do. I installed the Upper Control arm on the passanger side rather then the drivers side like the instructions called for. Here are some pictures

Still need to cut off the stock lower mounts!
3%20Untitled-7.jpg

3%20Untitled-9.jpg

Another inch or so in the back and it should fit 37s nicely!! :wierd:
3%20Untitled-6.jpg

The rest can be found here: http://www.schwabdesigns.com/jeep/axles/

I hope you're not driving it like that! I wouldn't risk my life driving it without welding the LCA mounts! Why did you put the UCA on the passenger side? Was it to avoid the fuel lines? Seems like the axle mount would be weaker on that side. I have the same kit, but I'm finding it hard to keep thejamnuts locked.

Nope, not driving it like that. That was just after the first day of the install! I still have to weld everything, cut off the lower brackets, and get custom steering made.

I installed the upper arm on the passanger side because the axle I bought(already set up for the XJ) only had a passanger side mount. We figured it would be easier to just install it on that side, then build a whole new mount on the other side, and then have to deal with the fuel lines. If it doesn't work then I might chance it, but for not I think it will work just fine for a trail rig!

I've heard that that kit flexes TO much and that some people have to put limit straps on. Have you gone wheeling with it yet? How does the rock krawler kit handle on road? Would you recommend it?

RalphXJ said:
Nope, not driving it like that. That was just after the first day of the install! I still have to weld everything, cut off the lower brackets, and get custom steering made.

I haven't drove it yet, still have atlest another day of work to do! I plan on running limiting straps after i test it out, if i dont have too then that will be cool, but I plan on needing them.

Cool well keep us updated on this tread of how you like the flex and the limit strap install. Im still undecided on drop brackets or the rock krawler LA kit. I just dont know. Yours is not a daily driver, correct? Mine is a daily driver and a weekend wheeler. I have the RE 5.5" kit w/ Rusty's 6" Coil up front

I have the RK long-arms with 6.5in coils and its driven daily. The ride is VERY nice. I do need to add a limiting strap to the center of the axle to prevent excessive unloading while climbing. I run DT 12in travel shocks with JKS uppers, this does a good job of limiting articulation just enough to keep the coils in while still providing about 3.5in up travel.

I dont daily drive mine anymore. However it was my daily driver with the same lift and tires only with short arms and no drop brackets! It road like the axles were bolted directly to the body, but i didn't care, so i wouldn't think twice about doing it again no mater how bad the ride is(i guess I just dont care about the ride quality, its a Jeep after all)!! Now will full widths and locked it might be alittle diffrent, but I would have no problems using it as a DD. I will drive it ot work and around town every once and while, but the PA cops don like your tires sticking out, so I might get alot of hassel for it!!

I built the first set for my 2000 almost 3 years ago,still loven it.I finally got out this weekend with my new set on the 95,with few exceptions(raised lca mounts on axle about 1 3/4" and another 1/4" at the crossmember) they are identical to my original set.
Long Arm Pics

sorry about not searching enough, i have limited time on the computer. about how much would you say it cost to build your own? i like that setup RCP Phx has looks good and pretty much what i was thinking of doing.

Dude just search if you have time. If people want to answer your questions then they will. I dont see why these guys put all this preassure on people to search. Dont click on the tread if you dont want to see it. AND like someone said before "search, this is covered like 5 times a day!" I read the long arm forums EVERY day and guess what. I learn something new about them every day.

jeepxj89 said:
about how much would you say it cost to build your own?/QUOTE]
Just the materials for the crossmember and Lower control arms(I use RE uppers) is about $300,up from about 220 when I did my last set(steel has gotten rediculous).

alright i get the point, search first ask questions later. and who said i had a gun to someones head saying they had to respond? maybe you should rethink before you respond and take your own advice,"Dont click on the tread if you dont want to see it".why do you have a big problem with a new post anyways, you said you read about longarms everyday and you learn something new. ever think maybe this post could teach you somthing? to everyone else thanks for the responses. cheers

its just that this has been hasta for so damn long and there is so much good information out there that is easily accessible. do a bit of searching then ask some specific questions if you got em :cheers:

Back