• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo light

jayuu

NAXJA Forum User
i just got my second xj and the lights behind the speedo/fuel gauge dont work. so when im driving at night i cant read any of it. the blinker lights work, the high beam light works all other lights work, just not the three lamps for the speedo. any ideas whats wrong? i would like a cluster bwith guages and a tach, but can i switch one into my xj. i have a 93 5speed btw. and what year cluster would i need. thanks.

The xj has the cool feature of gauge clusters that interchange with other XJ.
Any cluster from 92-96 will work with any XJ from those years. Have you crawled back in there, upside down and checked bulbs, fuses, etc for those bulbs on the panel. I had a problem with the headlight pull switch. Check it and its wiring. First the speedo lights went out intermittently, then the actual headlights stopped working. When replacing the switch, there is a little button on top, press it and the knob comes off. Then it unbolts & unplugs. Pain though, since its way up in there and hard to reach.

thanks, i may just get a new cluster though. will i need to do any wiring so the tach works?

and yeah i checked the 3 bulbs they are all good, all the fuses look good . anyone know the number of the fuse for it in the panel? and ill check out the switch

I don't think so, the wiring is already there. Jeep was being gey on this one and left tachs off some models even though it required little work to include them. You will need new sending units for oil press. and coolant temp. Be sure to get the right ones, i.e. for guages not idiot lights. But, if its that switch is the problem and I think it is, the lights won't work on your new cluster either!

The back of the cluster has a printed circuit board on a sheet of plastic. Sounds more like the "track" that powers them or grounds them is messed up since the others work. The directional indicators and high beam aren't on the same "track" since they're item specific. When you pull a cluster at your local junk yard, you'll see what I mean. May even be where the "board" folds in on either side of the plug.

Back