• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code on 2001

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
I got back from vacation last night and my wife told me that while I was gone her CEL came on in the 01. I pulled the code and it is P0455 (Gross leak in EVAP system). She said she filled up w/ gas at approx. 12:30 p.m. on Friday. CEL came on at approx. 8 p.m. that night. She didn't drive it any more until I got back. I reset it this morning. My issue is that it's totally diff. from my 96 and my manual covers up to 2000. I searched and came up with other stories but non on 01's. I believe the canister is located under the vehicle in back. I hear no hissing, all hose connections look OK in the engine bay. I removed and inspected gas cap. It looks good. This vehicled did fail emissions right after we bought it b/c of a bad cap. Picked up a cheap one at AZ and it passed. I re-tightened the cap. I will look further under the vehicle for bad hoses. Then I guess I will play a waiting game and see if the light comes on again. If so...maybe try another cap? Any other suggestions? Also...for those with 2001's, where can I buy a manual that covers this? Is the dealer FSM my only/best option. I've read 2 ways to clear codes thus far: one says disconnect (-) cable and leave sit for 30 mins. (which worked on my 96) and the second says to disconnect (+) cable and touch it to the (-) terminal for a few seconds. Which is correct? Thanks all. Have a great Memorial Day.

-Chris

riverfever said:
My issue is that it's totally diff. from my 96 and my manual covers up to 2000.

I'm guessing you've got the Haynes manual - they're convinced that Cherokee production stopped in 2000, not 2001 :) Anyway, information for the '01 and 2000s should be interchangeable, at least in my experience; the only two years of XJ I've owned are '01 and 2000, and I've yet to find something that was different between them.

I re-tightened the cap. I will look further under the vehicle for bad hoses. Then I guess I will play a waiting game and see if the light comes on again.

This is probably your best bet. Did your scantool reset the stored codes or not?

If so...maybe try another cap? Any other suggestions?

I'd start looking into the fuel evaporative system after that if re-tightening the cap doesn't work. I'm also curious as to why a 4-year-old vehicle is on its second gas cap... Do you use them for hockey, by any chance? ;)

Also...for those with 2001's, where can I buy a manual that covers this? Is the dealer FSM my only/best option.

Do some searching (both here and via Google) for the 2000 FSM. It's equally-applicable to your '01, but keep the Haynes manual next to it for where one doesn't explain things quite as well as the other.

I've read 2 ways to clear codes thus far: one says disconnect (-) cable and leave sit for 30 mins. (which worked on my 96) and the second says to disconnect (+) cable and touch it to the (-) terminal for a few seconds. Which is correct?

To the best of my knowledge, neither one is correct for a '97-up. Removing the negative battery cable will reset the computer after about an hour, but AFAIK does not clear OBD-II codes; only a scantool will do that. Touching the positive cable to the negative terminal just sounds risky - I think I see what they're trying to do, but I've never heard of this being an acceptable practice.

Restting the computer can't hurt, though. Mine's done some weird stuff after getting bad gas before, but resetting and forcing it to re-learn how to do its thing has helped in the past.

Last edited:
I am working from a Haynes manual. It's good to hear you say that you haven't seen any differences between the 00 and 01.

The OBDII scanner DID reset/clear the code.

I was also a little upset with replacing thecap. We bought this used from a dealer about 3 months ago. No hockey with them but if the NHL can't figure things out by October...it might just come to that. (Me with my Sakic jersey on in the alley with a gas cap.)

Am I correct in thinking that the EVAP System hoses will be smaller diameter rubber hoses that circulate the unburned vapors? If it's a large leak, I thought I might be able to hear it? They look great in the engine bay but I didn't get under it yet. I'll do that now. Thanks CASM.

My 01 FSM has an excellent section on the operation of the EVAP recirculation system. The 01 needs to be in closed loop mode before the EVAP is active. Takes about 15 minutes of driving at temp before the computer goes to closed loop. I don;t think you will actually be able to hear anything at the EVAP canister if the line has a hole in it.
It is most likely just that the cap was loose. It the light comes back on, check the EVAP selenoid next to the A/C canister on the passenger side firewall.

As to the best book? The FSM. I called D/C direct to get mine. 800 890 4038.

Be sure to check the hoses that connect the evaporative emmissions control stuff. I had several on my '01 that dry rotted and produced the same trouble codes.

Daffy...thanks for the info on the FSM. Is there a procedure for checking the solenoid? Is part of the system located under the vehicle, drivers side further towards the back?

Thanks for some feedback geonical.

This is just an update b/c I had a real hard time searching anything having to do with the Evaoprative System. Hopefully this will help some poor sap in the future. In a last ditch effort before taking it to the dealer, I found my crack. In the hose that is. Apparently I was looking with my eyes closed before. It was one of the rubber connectors coming off the canister under the vehicle. Auto Zone didn't have anything as stout and shaped so I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and get a new one. I'll clear the code and let you all know if that takes care of it.

Back