• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What coils to go with?

slvr98svt

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I am planning on creating my own long arm kit in a few months. I have a pair of D44's that I just bought and will be installing with the lift. However I am unsure of what coils to go with. My plans are to go with the 6" Big OffRoad leafs, that supposedly net alittle over 7" when empty, these paired with a set of MJ shackles to be around 7.5" rear, unknown loaded height. Now I was thinking the Skyjacker JC80F 8" coils, but was unsure of the actual height. Then I guess I could go with bigger shackles if I have to if the 8" were to big. What coils would you guys suggest for this setup? I am looking to run 35" tires with some fender trimming.
Thanks Alot,
-Matt

Anybody have any input on this? Has anyone bought the BOR springs, and what front coils did you go with?
Thanks,
-Matt

Doesnt seem like you need all that lift if you are going to trim the fenders.It will also save you some$$$

With 35s, that is to much lift, IMO. 5.5'' Is what I would run if I want 35s. There was a thread about several different coils on here a couple weeks ago, try searching and seeing what you come up with.

Basically I was just trying to match how high the BOR springs are. What springs would you recommend then for 5.5 lift? Maybe some 4" with some 1.25 shackles or what?
Thanks,
-Matt

slvr98svt said:
Basically I was just trying to match how high the BOR springs are. What springs would you recommend then for 5.5 lift? Maybe some 4" with some 1.25 shackles or what?
Thanks,
-Matt
I have never heard any bad things about RE so thats what I would recomend. Try searching the pics forum and see what different lifts look like.

The National 5" pack is the best spring on the market. Deavers are a close second. Expect to shell out $600 for either of these.

I love the spring rate of the 8" SkyJackers. The best rate I've ever run. I like a stiffer coil, though. If you were going with the above mentioned packs, the RE ZJ coil would be quite nice. It's softer than the SJ coil.

Im running SJ's front and rear. Theyre pretty nice on the seat-of-the-pants, but the leafs suck. They sag and bend and squeak. The coils are doing just fine for me though.
I've launched mine 4 and 5 feet in the air on a couple occasions and the landings are cushy. Oh and yes, I run 35's.... well not anymore, but as of last week I did.

I would run the 8 inch RockKrawler best riding best flexing coil out there You also get a very smooth ride. I would not use ZJ springs they are a stiffer spring rate thats why you get a little more lift.

rockreadyxj said:
I would run the 8 inch RockKrawler best riding best flexing coil out there You also get a very smooth ride. I would not use ZJ springs they are a stiffer spring rate thats why you get a little more lift.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

CRASH

Jes said:
I don't like the ZJ springs that I have on the back of my XJ.

Did you use the front coils or the rear leafs from the ZJ?

I once read on the internet that the stock rear ZJ leafs are too stiff for XJ use. Can you confirm this or is it SPOBI?

CRASH

CRASH said:
You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

CRASH

Not going to argue over the reason those springs give you more height.They are a stiffer spring rate to take the load from the V-8. When they are wound they are usually about an inch or so taller in freestanding height. So if they had the weight on them like they were designed to carry they would sit at the same height. So a stiffer spring rate will give you more lift but a worse ride. So knowing that I would use a set of 8 inch springs designed for the weight of a Cherokee. Not a heavier ZJ. And if you want an even softer spring use a TJ spring.

I’ve got the BOR 6” leafs in the back of my Jeep with the RE 1.25” shackle. The back is at least 1” higher than the front with RE 4.5” ZJ coils. Granted the leaves are brand new but they are still much taller than the front.

With my TJ flares in the back its way too much lift for my 35” tires. I’m hoping it settles around 1” and I plan on putting on some 36” IROKs for next year. Even with my camping gear/spare parts/tools/spare tire the leaves barely came down. It’s exactly what I wanted after wearing out/wrapping up a set of RE 4.5” leaves in a year. I’m hoping a quality set of leaves lasts a little longer than the others without having to build a traction bar.

Thanks guys, I think I will go with the BOR 6" leaves, MJ shackles, and a pair of 8" Skyjacker per Crashes response. I was thinking the 7.5" RE coils but I dont want to have to run a spacer in front if I dont have to.
Thanks Again,
-Matt

You do realize that you can have a tall soft spring or a short stiff one, right? Spring rate is a factor of coil wire diameter, overall coil diameter, and the number of active coils. You could have a very soft ZJ spring, or a very stiff one. All depends on what you want.

I think a rate between 225 (RE ZJ) and 250 (SJ 8") is very good for running in the rocks, and allows very good high speed control. This is our experience while running a heavy winch and bumper combo. Without those, 225 would be about perfect, but you could conceivably go down to about 210.

So throwing out a recommendation without any backup is just silly. Do you know the rate of the RK spring? THe RE ZJ? HAve you compared the two in empirical testing?

Equally silly is telling this guy that running a spring labeled "ZJ" or "TJ" is not good. The model the spring was built for has NO bearing on what it will work on or how much lift it will give. This depends on your specific tastes, suspension design, shock valving, vehicle weight, weight distribution, terrain driven and about a dozen other factors.

CRASH

rockreadyxj said:
Not going to argue over the reason those springs give you more height.They are a stiffer spring rate to take the load from the V-8. When they are wound they are usually about an inch or so taller in freestanding height. So if they had the weight on them like they were designed to carry they would sit at the same height. So a stiffer spring rate will give you more lift but a worse ride. So knowing that I would use a set of 8 inch springs designed for the weight of a Cherokee. Not a heavier ZJ. And if you want an even softer spring use a TJ spring.

rockreadyxj said:

:D, Ahh the old school NAXJA is back! Ignorance is so much fun.

CRASH said:
I once read on the internet that the stock rear ZJ leafs are too stiff for XJ use. Can you confirm this or is it SPOBI?

CRASH

The rear leafs are too stiff because of the weight of the V8.

Jes said:
The rear leafs are too stiff because of the weight of the V8.

Oh. I thought it might have something to do with the reduced sprung weight of the aluminum D-44, but now I see your point.

I learn something new here everyday!

CRASH

Back