• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wobble vibration?

kronix29

NAXJA Forum User
hi i have an 89 cherokee.and i get this major vibration some time s it starts at 35mph and other times it dont start till 45 mph.if i hit a bump wrong it just goes crazy.its more like a wobble then a vibration.
i have replaced the motor mounts, tie rods ,front shocks,everything is tight i have had it at 2 shops and they concur the front end is tight.i can pretty much tell it is coming from the right front.i know it needs a trans mount but cant find 1 anywhere.it has puegot trans but i have had the truck for a year with a bad trans mount and the wobble just started a few months ago.i also replaced all the u joints.maybe a bad shock?i need help.if you have had this problem please let me know i cant drive the truck over 35 mph thanks for any and all help.
derek

hey dyna,i checked the track bar.it does have some play in it very little though.i have to say its quite embarrising when i have to pull over and stop.i wonder what the people behind me are thinking haha.lol also the truck is stock.and has 200000 miles on it.

Last edited:
does the steering wheel shake violently?? that would be DW and I know what its like. I also own a Dodge pu 4x4 2500 with the Cummins. I read many guys with the same problem in the trucks since they went to coils in front. Most guys install a lukes link or later trac rod in the trucks to fix it, the cheros Im not sure. At 200K the trac rod ball end is probably spent. Might check all the st box bolts, tie rods, etc before you do a banzai into something that wont move like a telephone pole. I hit one in a 59 F100 4x4 doin 35mph and it didnt feel to good, couldnet walk for weeks.

hi dyna.i just checked the track bar again with a tip from this site.and it is really blown out.worse then i thought.so i will start there.the sterring box is tight but there is a little play at the end where the shaft hooks to the gear box.i guess thats next and i will throw some new tires on the front.i swear this didnt start till i put the shocks on the front though.maybe i will switch the shocks from left to right.and se what happens.thanks for your help.

i bent my frontend d30 housing one time, ya that was some bad wobbly, it kickede in at 55 mph nd i had to slow down to 40 to mke it go away, then instead of replacing my front axle i opted to buy a budget boost instead as any dumb teenager would and it got even worse. wobbly kicked in at 35 and i had to slow to 20. made for lots of fun when you wanted to scare passengers, with the wheel jumoing bck nd forth violently. well my point is....well nothing ijsut felt like telling a story and good luck with your wobble by the way.

yeah it sounds like you might have figured it uot. I had a wobble and I got an alignment and a new stabilizer. My stock one was shot (92 cherokee)....I also got my tires balanced, I also replaced my u-joints in the front...try all of that out. I also just pulled my front drive shaft out and some mystery vibes that increased the amount of wobble (so it seemed) went away. Every cherokee has different problems with similar symptoms. THats what I have learned.

I used to have that... I did all the stuff listed above and more and no improvement. When the tranny went ahead and replaced the u joints. Problem solved. Might want to take a look at them too. Good luck.

thanks for all the input.well today i changed the track bar and the control arm bushings.(man are they a bad desighn)any one know who sells full replacement control arms?i have not been able to test drive it yet so hopefully that helps.after changing the track bar i inspected the front end again and saw the control arm bushing moving.also is it normal for the sterring wheel to be off center after replcing the track bar?thanks for all the help
derek

Back