• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight problem?? highs but not lows work

yoyoguy2

NAXJA Forum User
the low beam headlights on my 95 cherokee stopped working a few days ago (at night in the rain....). Anyway, here's the situation: The high beams still work, not the low beams. One of the lights has flickered on and off sometimes, so i pulled it out and found that the contacts were really corroded on the wiring harness. Replaced the sockets on both sides. Same problem, the high beams work, but not the lows. Took off the dash, and pulled out the connector for the "multifunction switch." i tested the pins on the connector and found one that always was hot for the high beams, and bridged it to the hi ground next to it, and the highs came on. Found the pin for the low beams, and when turning the dash switch on, it goes to 12. however bridging that pin with the ground next to it does NOT turn on the low beams.

So i surmise from all this that
1. It's not the grounds, as the high and low have the same ground pin on the lamps
2. It's not the headlight switch, as the voltage on the connector changes when you turn it on
3. It's not the multifunction switch, as bridging the connector does not make the lights turn on.

So it's somewhere between the multifunction connector and the lights.... but what is there??? other than it being a wire cut, is there a relay, or a connector, or anything else in the path? the wiring diagram in the haynes manual shows nothing.

I hate to sound stupid, but are you sure the lows aren't burned out???? I've lost two lights at the same time before, actually about 2 months ago.... They have seperate filaments inside the light itself... one for low one for high.

I believe there is a headlight delay relay, (not exactly sure the proper name), I will try to look it up in my FSM for you, if you need it....

yeah, i actually checked, the bulbs are ok and there is no voltage at the connectors when the lows are turned on. if you have the FSM for a 95 i would appreciated it if you could look at the diagrams for me, (or scan them or something if possible) the ones in the haynes manual are not very good, and in places incorrect. I don't think the 95 had the delay option, i know my lights don't stay on after turning the car off.

There's a connector in the left front fender, outside and below the airbox. It's a pretty well known corrosion problem. You can lose your low beams, high beams, turn signals, and marker lights, depending on which leads corrode and crack off. My 94 has 3 jumpers around the connector.

after checking the fsm, i didn't see any relays for the headlights, i went out and checked my rig, i'd agree with previous post, as my connection had quite a bit of buildup and corrosion.

I believe the service manual shows the low beam leads as the light green, but i'd check continuity 1st. hope that helps.

thanks for all the help, i pulled the airbox and the connector looks like crap, one of the wires (for the side marker) broke off when i tried to disconnect it. unfortunately it just started raining, so i didn't get a chance to short around the headlight wires and see if it works. i'll update later today or tomorrow if this fixed it...

Yeah, so the connector fixed it, i cut the wires off and jumped them around the connector (couldn't even pull it apart, it was rusted together) and the lights work again! thanks for all the help, i didn't even know that thing was down there, i would have been ripping the dash apart forever...

Back