• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Mount Revisited

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it was a beautiful day today in Va so I decided to change out my transmission mount. It took a while because this was the first time I've done it and I had to get the order of the bolts right. I had the mount up and it was time to put the cross member back up. That's when I realized that all of the holes weren't lining up correctly. So ultimately I had to loosen the mount up from the transmission so that it would move around some. I was finally able to get the X-member back up and tightened, as well as the four bolts on the bottom of the mount. But I am having the hardest time getting the two bolts/nuts that go into the transmission housing tight. All I can fit up there is a finger (especially on the driver's side) and I am not able to keep the nut from turning when I turn the ratchet. On the passenger side, I can barely squeeze the socket up onto the bolt. But I am able to hold the nut fairly well and have been able to tighten it down pretty well. Does anyone have any suggestions? The order of putting the mount up somewhat loosely, putting the x-member up and tightening that down has been the only way I can put everything back together. Thanks!

Matt

I did this not too long ago......

When I did it, I don't recall having the problems you describe. One thing in your write-up sounds a little wacky.... Have you tightened the cross member and then found out the tranny nuts don't center up? I don't tighten ANYTHING untill every fastener is started and run up finger tight just to make sure of fit-up and everything is in position. Leave everthing loose at first. Your jacks should support everything until you are ready to button it up. It sounds like the tranny may have shifted slightly. I had a nightmare job doing motor mounts the first time because the engine shifted 1/8" (that's all it can take). DON'T GIVE UP !! For what it's worth check the part number one more time, if you are frustrated, take a break. HANG IN THERE and it will eventually work out...... Good Luck !!!

You have the mount backwards.. or you reversed the cross member...

my bet.. MOUNT BACKWARDS..

it should bolt up easily.. don't force it..

trust me.. I know.. :D

I was in a hurry when I did mine..(over my lunch break..:D) and me being a big guy and in a hurry I just forced it in.. even though in the back of my mind I knew it was wrong..

after work I looked at it.. and my dyslexia had put it in backwards.. :D

reveresed it.. and bam.... everything lined up.

If you removed the crossmember completely, you may have put it back in backwards. It may look symmetrical, but it's not. I flipped mine when changing my clutch, and all but two bolt holes wouldn't line up. Took me 45 mins of prying and cursing before I realized that I had it reversed.
HTH,
Jeff

Guys,
Thanks for the responses. Neither the X-member nor the mount were backwards. I just needed the mount to slide just slightly over so that I could get the x-member to line up with the bolt on the driver's side. The x-member, at least on my XJ has regular holes for the driver's side, but picture frame type holes on the passenger side. In any event, I was able to get an open end wrench up on the nut and tighten it. Whew! :)

Matt

Back