• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition module

offroadxj07

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have looked everywhere in my engine compartment and I can not seem to find the ignition module... I have a 4.7L and a few things have been moved... it is a 91 xj.. all i have found was the coil... any help would be greatly appreciated

First we need to make sure we're on the same page. Is this an XJ, as in the small Jeep Cherokee? If so, there's no stock 4.7, but there's a 4.0. If it's a 4.0 there is no ignition module as such. The ignition is controlled by the same computer (Before 91 they called it the ECU and after that they called it the PCU, who knows why) as the fuel injection. If it isn't a small Cherokee, and it does actually have a 4.7, I have no clue.

Well in some respects it does have an ignition module, and its directly under the coil, built into the same block. This is assuming we're talking XJ 4.0 with nothing fancy going on.

o alright... i wasnt sure if it was run through the ecu or not... its a 4.0 ho stroked to a 4.7 but ic... i just saw that the ignition module was in my repair book but i could not find it.... I realized that it was speaking of the coil area... thanks tho hopefully my ecu isnt shot... i have been looking into the cps tho. Is that located on top of the flywheel?

Yep. CPU is around the 10-11 o'clock position on the top side of the bellhousing. Try disconnecting and then reconnecting it. Check for corrosion. Are you having a no start problem?

ya i was just driving down the road and it died... checked to see if it was getting fuel and it was... then checked the spark and there was nothing... already checked the coil and that did nothing so im guessing the cps will do the trick

offroadxj07 said:
ya i was just driving down the road and it died... checked to see if it was getting fuel and it was... then checked the spark and there was nothing... already checked the coil and that did nothing so im guessing the cps will do the trick
I had this same problem, and it was my ICM. 10$ junkyard part fixed it.

Back