• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help! th350 tranny trouble!

BIGoffroadXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 350 and a th350 in my jeep. i was wheeling last night, and i was doing a hill climb in 2wd, when i couldnt make it i stopped and put it into 4lo. when i went to put it in drive there was nothing, no drive gears all 3 dont work. Reverse works fine, but no drive. There was no slipping to indicate low fluid or a hot tranny, it was just a light switch on and off. help me plz someone

Re: help! tranny is f'd in the a

Sorry I can't help you, but I don't know how many people want to click on a link that says "Tranny f'd in the a". I guess I was just feeling adventurous.

Possibly linkage? I would check that first.

Soulds like you loosened the other end of the shift pawl.

if you drop the pan, there is a bolt on the end of the Shifter linkage INSIDE the pan....Being loose will allow a lot of slop to enter the linkage....Causing what you see.

I've seen this symptom three times before on vehicles of mine. The 700r4 is very very intolerant of running low on fluid. It will appear to be running just fine and will toast the babbit bearings in one of the planetaries. The crap will plug the valve body and you will loose everyting except reverse and sometimes first. All three times I had to do a complete rebuild.

old_man said:
I've seen this symptom three times before on vehicles of mine. The 700r4 is very very intolerant of running low on fluid. It will appear to be running just fine and will toast the babbit bearings in one of the planetaries. The crap will plug the valve body and you will loose everyting except reverse and sometimes first. All three times I had to do a complete rebuild.

i have a 350 and a th350 in my jeep.

MAJOR differences between the 700r and a TH350.....

to the poster, you shifted into Neutral to get 4low...right? did you notice the shifter feeling "Funny" when you did it? And are you having a hard time finding Park?

If so, then you need to DROP the PAN, and check the ass end of the Shifter Linkage.

It's more than not this problem...Seeing as the TH350 uses the same bands for First, and Reverse. If they were toasted, you'd have nothing.

Back