• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any guesstimates on how long to swap Dana 30?

All,

I have a new Dana 30 coming in for my 2000 XJ. Any idea how long a complete swap might take (swapping all but the tires & rims, and brake assys). Any special tools to think of? I brought a complete 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" metric & standard set, sledge hammer, pickle fork, screw drivers, wrenches, etc.

Thanks!

Matt Randolph
Fallbrook, CA (stuck in Mexico, Missouri)

it will prolly take a wekend depending on experience. you will deffinitly want another person to help you. you may want a good floor jack or two. one for the jeep and one for the axel. otherwise i think you will be all set. you have to remove the shocks, trac bar, coils, brake lines, vac line, upper and lower control arms, drive shaft, steering linkages, sway bar, you may want a 2x4 as well.

Are you re-using anything from the old 30? You may need a 36 mm socket for the axle bolt and a 12-pt 13 mm socket for the hub bolts. But if this is a complete axle for complete axle swap...then never mind.

ITs a pretty simple process.

Jack up the front of the jeep place on jackstands.
disconnect steering and axle end of stabalizer
disconnect coil spring connector
disconnect brake lines at caliper
place floor jack under front axle and strap on. jack up to relieve tension
disconnect bottom of shocks
disconnect upper control arms at axle
disconnect lower arms at axle
disconnect trackbar at frame side

lower axle and pull out to front
place swap axle on floor jack and reverse process...I have done it myself, by myself in 3 hours.

last step is bleed the brakes

As a bit of a side note, a couple of years ago, without the use of power tools, I had the front D30 out from under my XJ in 45 minutes, with no assistance.

Unless you've had everything apart recently (which I did, and used Never-Seez liberally,) expect to take quite a bit longer. Getting the new one will be "interesting," in particular, you'll be fighting with the control arms in all likelyhood.

only if you dont have a clue what you are doing...if you instal the lower arms first then the uppers they usually line up really easily by using a prybar and the floor jack

Use PB blaster - it's your friend. Like others have said it depends on how much corrosion is on your current setup. I'd say about two hours would be average - maybe more if this is your first time swapping an axle... Once you get the hang of it it's easy.. and can easily be done in ~45min. HTH

Will.

someone posted on here a trick to get the control arms lined up by using the underseat jack and some 2x4s. I wish i would have known about that the first time i swapped my 30.

Pipe wrench and floor jack. Works like a charm.

Back