• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

onboard shower

Dingo509

NAXJA Forum User
So i'm in the process of building a onboard shower for my XJ. Don't worry I will do a write up when i'm done. anyway I have a question for anybody that has one. What kind of hose are you using for the shower water? I was told if I use heater hose that you can taste the rubber, so I thought about using the reinforced (nylon or vinyl) clear hose, but when I hook it the heat exchanger that runs at engine temp the hose gets very soft. I'm afraid that it won't last long at a constant 190*. So i'm open for ideas By the way this is 1/2" hose i'm looking for.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
So i'm in the process of building a onboard shower for my XJ. Don't worry I will do a write up when i'm done. anyway I have a question for anybody that has one. What kind of hose are you using for the shower water? I was told if I use heater hose that you can taste the rubber, so I thought about using the reinforced (nylon or vinyl) clear hose, but when I hook it the heat exchanger that runs at engine temp the hose gets very soft. I'm afraid that it won't last long at a constant 190*. So i'm open for ideas By the way this is 1/2" hose i'm looking for.

Dingo

I just go through the car wash with the windows down, hold my arms up, and stick my head out the window. :D

Dingo509 said:

Dingo
Go to an RV place and get the hose they use for the showers in moterhomes. Should work ok.

Check your hardware store for "hot water hose" - like the stuff that gets used with some water heater installs and around the house (like for washing machines and such.) You should be able to buy it in bulk without too much trouble.

What engine temperature are you running? I'm wondering about the thermal efficiency of your water heater/heat exchanger/whatever - and how you're reducing output temperature for use (water mixing) as well as pressure sourcing. Also, are you planning your setup to always use "mains" water (pressure-feed thru a spigot) or can you draw water from a "natural" source - and what filtration are you doing?

This sounds like an interesting project - I know Arabia's out here does something like that, but their pride in their work shows when you get your bill...

5-90

5-90 said:
Check your hardware store for "hot water hose" - like the stuff that gets used with some water heater installs and around the house (like for washing machines and such.) You should be able to buy it in bulk without too much trouble.
The temp of the water is not really the issue but the temp of the heat exchanger is, It's all copper and will quickly get to engine temp about 200*. my problem is right where the fresh waster hose hooks to the exchanger, the brass hose barb gets to the same temp as the exchanger and the hose is clamped to that. so where talking about a hose that need to take 200+.Only because this hose is permanent.
Ive looked into the hot water outlet hose but they're only rated at 120-130 deg.
5-90 said:
What engine temperature are you running? I'm wondering about the thermal efficiency of your water heater/heat exchanger/whatever - and how you're reducing output temperature for use (water mixing) as well as pressure sourcing. Also, are you planning your setup to always use "mains" water (pressure-feed thru a spigot) or can you draw water from a "natural" source - and what filtration are you doing?
I have a 195 t-stat but as we all know the Cherokee can get alot hotter than that.

As far as thermal efficiency i don't have any solid #'s yet but i know that using lukewarm water you can't keep your hand under it when it come out the shower head. I will get some #'s as soon as i can.

As fas as plumbing it's like this. the inlet will be about 2-3' from the ground (haven't decided on a permanent location yet). it will then run through a shurflo 12V pump then (later) a filter then the hose T's off, one hose runs direct to the cold water outlet, the other goes through the heat exchanger then to the outlet.

5-90 said:
This sounds like an interesting project
Thanks

I plan on doing a complete write up as soon as i can get this done. However it will be my first writeup so it will prolly suck.

Dingo

http://www.mcmaster.com/

do a search for tubing and then click on "about rubber tubing"
specs and all that you need to know. you can get a food grade blended rubber, but its a little pricey. look around there. you want something with at least a temp rating of 250º.
I did my own camp shower. no heat. but in socal thats not that big of a deal. I used an RV water pump that draws from a 5 gal jug. I do want to do a heat exchanger for the colder desert nights. maybe just a copper on copper design.

John B said:
I'm planning the same mod. Check out this thread, i believe it will answer your hose question.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324151&page=1&pp=25

HTH...

Not really, Thanks for the link though. but he is using plastic hose barbs then hooking to the same hose i am using now. I would think that the plastic would isolated some of the heat from the exchanger, whereas my brass barbs are soldered dirrectly to the heat exchanger. he also mounted the whole think in open air whereas mine is actually between the inner and outer fender on the passenger side. (I will have pics of how i did this so be patient).

Thanks to Rawbrown for the McMaster link, they say that silicone hose can withstand 250* so now i need to find some.

And to Bronco, I will post a link to the heat ecxhanger that i copied as soon as i get the okay to do so. But basically it is a 3" piece of copper with about 13' of copper inside. it is not coiled but rather 10 pieces about 15" in length with 2 soldered copper elbows on each end.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
So i'm in the process of building a onboard shower for my XJ. Don't worry I will do a write up when i'm done. anyway I have a question for anybody that has one. What kind of hose are you using for the shower water? I was told if I use heater hose that you can taste the rubber

Why are you drinking your shower water?

RKBA said:
Why are you drinking your shower water?

That's where the term "shower" is misleading i guess. The primary use will be a shower but its basically just a way of having hot running water at the campsite. Same as in the house. I will use it to make coffee, wash dishes, and since i have on board air also have a hot pressure washer. (although not one of my top priorities)

Hell I might even design a portable hot tub so we can be "roughing it"

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
Hell I might even design a portable hot tub so we can be "roughing it"

Dingo

That would go nicely with the die grinder margarita blender. :laugh3:

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to your writeup. This has been something I've pondered off and on for a few years now. Maybe your writeup will finally inspire me to go get this project done.

If you've added a transmission cooler upfront then you could use the ATF exchanger in the raidator. Then use rubber transmission hose which is good above 200F.

well yes i actaully have it working (except for wiring) and will be able to post pics and a write-up tonight/tomorrow morning. what i did was to use short (less than 2") pieces of heater hose to connect to the heat exchanger then hooked the reinforced vinyl? hose to that, it should keep the rubber flavor to a minimum and yet still keep the hottest parts from direct contact with vinyl hose.

Now if i could just find a couple girls willing to pose........

Dingo

Back