• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 question

89CAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am rebuliding a d44 that I picked up a Pick Your Part. During the clean up I noticed that there was a seal inside the housing between the carrier bearings and the axle tubes. Is this actually a seal or just silicone to prevent moisture from getting in?
I called the jeep dealer and checked with some parts stores and no one knows.

Thanks

red91inWA, thanks for the lead. Randy's was helpful and let me know that it was probably silicon. He said that I probably didnt need it but could reapply some during the rebuild.

Thanks for your replies!

89CAXJ

This may be a naive question, but aren't the outer axle bearings lubricated by diff juice that slops around into the axle tubes? If you seal that up, what's going to lubricate the outer bearings?

Not sure, the seal or silicone that I was referring to didnt block the tube, it was a thin layer that went around the outer edge of the axle tube where it was inserted into the carrier housing. When I pulled out the carrier part of it came out with the bearings.

89CAXJ

89CAXJ said:
Not sure, the seal or silicone that I was referring to didnt block the tube, it was a thin layer that went around the outer edge of the axle tube where it was inserted into the carrier housing. When I pulled out the carrier part of it came out with the bearings.

89CAXJ
Yes you are correct,I asked the same question when I found the same thing.The sealer is pushed into that area when the tubes are pressed in,mine looked like a big O-ring.
Wayne

Back