• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I get Right sized Gabriel Air Shocks in rear ??

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
1993 XJ and I am getting ready to lift it 3". I just wondered how to go about ordering the right HI-JACKERS (I mean they gotta be 3" longer than stock, right ??)

Do these shocks ride rougher than hydraulic shocks ?? Wear out quicker ?? I would love to hear you guys experience....... TIA..... Bill-93XJ

Dad popped a hole in the ones that he had on his unlifted XJ, but that was a while ago and and he had alot of miles on them, he Green Snotted (Slimed, whatever) them for a while, but eventually that didn't work either. We've used Napa/Monroe/Tenneco Airshocks since then with few issues other than old age/tons of miles on his. All of ours ride better but they also can make hte truck handle funny from time to time. ALso if you have alot of stuff in the back (behind the back seats to be exact) when you "air up" the whole truck seems to get taller, not just the rear end, and can take weight off the front tires and make it dance a little more easily in high winds (gotta love the 242 in those situations). That reminds me, I need to air down before I go home tonight...............................

Thanks..... But

Thanks Bjoe, but my main question was.... how do I order the right LENGTH shock for a 3" lift ?? Anyone got any ideas ?? TIA.... Bill-93XJ

what stock shock is it that fits the rear of ~3" lifted xj's? ZJ rear shocks? I think that was it.... do a search.

or find a good parts store with a shock spec book, find your current specs (ends, extended, collapsed), and find one with the extended length 3" longer.

or go flex it out and measure, match it up best you can using example above.

I looked for the same answer a few weeks ago...I went to napa and searched through their shock catalog for over an hour...no luck. The problem with a cherokee is that the top end is very unusual...But if you were to switch the pin out from your old ones you may be able to find a shock that would work....You would be looking for one with two "eye" ends (5/8 hole I THINK, but you better check) that are about 23-24" extended. Collapsed length probably is insignificant (because you won't have too many choices).

Good Luck

Back