• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compression/Pressure testing one unit?

DaveW

NAXJA Forum User
I have the need to do some testing of fuel pressure and possibly compression. By the book this would require 3 seperate peices of equipment. I do not own any at this time so to avoid spending money on three seperate pressure gauges I was wondering if...
Is it possible to build a tester that would allow for testing cylinder compression, leakdown and fuel pressure?

This link (http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc3.shtml) shows how to build a leakdown tester. What would the the problems simply having different fittings and using the same setup for all three tests?

If you used a fuel pressure gauge as the starting point, and used all fuel-stable hose and fittings you probably build something that could do it all, I don't see why not.

Actually, thats a pretty good idea, would be great in the toolbox on the trail.

Yes, that would be a must... make sure all the parts will survive the fuel.
Looks like I have a small project... As I need the fuel pressure tester now, I will start along those lines and add to it.

I use an old tire gauge for the fuel rail. Reads 0-60psi which is about the right range. A compression gauge needs to be up there over 150psi plus all the plumbing fittings that come with 'em make it a good tool to own by itself. Just remember to open the throttle plate WOT when checking compression or you will get funky readings.

I tried all the old tire gauges I had - none fit. Just the way thing were going. A good thought.
I sprung for a fuel pressure gaue which lead to a new fuel pump.

I was wondering about the fact that compression would need to be 100+. I have not seen a fuel pressure gauge over 100. So, not that I have afuel pressure gauge I only need to worry aboutn compresson/leakdown. May have to just build a unit so next time I need it (really need it as in XJ not running) I'll have it.

Thanks, If I decide not to make one that looks like a good option.
It looks like the first gauge goes up to 200. I cannot make out the range on the second guage. How high does it go?

DaveW said:
Thanks, If I decide not to make one that looks like a good option.
It looks like the first gauge goes up to 200. I cannot make out the range on the second guage. How high does it go?

I'll check when I get home, but IIRC, it's labled in "% leakdown".

Back