• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rear Driveshaft questions

89CAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was told that you can use a YJ CV drive shaft for a cherokee rear, true?, how good of an option is this?
I know that there are other options out there.

I ask because I picked up a Dana 44 from an 88 XJ at a junk yard and the drive shaft had been cut with a torch. I am almost finished with the 44 and have no rear drive shaft.

Thanks,
Mike

89XJ
Stock 4.0
NP231
mild lift (2.5 inches)
30.5 tires

I think you have that backwards. You can take a cherokee front driveshaft and shorten it to put it in the rear of the yj. The yj front shaft is like a toothpick! But some guys do use an xj front shaft in the rear.

Just use your stock driveshaft. Its a little bit longer than the driveshaft that came with the Dana44, but you have a little bit of lift as well. After 5" of lift on my brothers Dana44 XJ, we swapped in a Dana35 driveshaft to get the slip a little further in the t-case.

See if you can find a shaft from a four cylinder cherokee, I bought on for parts and the shaft is about 2 inches longer! I'm not sure how many four cylinder cherokees are out there, probably like trying to find hen's teeth! lol :)

j_prime,

thanks for clearing up the YJ driveshat question. A jeep dismantler down here told me that on of his YJ CV driveshafts would be the ticket for my axle.

Thanks for your replies!

89CAXJ

89CAXJ said:
hey chicksdigwagons,

Did you use a shim on that XJ w/the D35 driveshaft?

For pinion angle? If so yes, I don't recall what degree though. Was pretty mild. If there were any major driveline vibes we didn't notice...though the 36" Super Swampers may have had something to do with that...

Back