• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loctite red or blue?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be installing a 2" mostly OME lift here in the next couple of weeks when everything gets here. Should I be using Loctite on the rear leaf bolts - and...red or blue? The instructions for the JKS QD's call for 721 (red) on the main bolt. I know red holds better, but I am thinking blue or nothing on the leafs. Once it is on, I never plan on removing them or going higher (insert hysterical laughter from everyone, here).WuudoIdo?

Rev Den said:

x2. I was looking into that for the same reasons. Was told there are different degrees of the red stuff. Go for the middle of the 3 in strength. You won't need a big bottle of it either.

I use blue on everything where I think Loc-Tite is called for. Red is for permanent, and if you plan to keep a Jeep for more than a year -- NOTHING is permanent.

Eagle said:
I use blue on everything where I think Loc-Tite is called for. Red is for permanent, and if you plan to keep a Jeep for more than a year -- NOTHING is permanent.

this was what I have been told.. blue to hold a bolt, red to forget about it...
I do remember something about the diff levels of red, but I have heard of the read stuff taking threads off....
I havent used anything lately, I have been replacing most of the bolts in the suspension.. Mopar has their own loctite stuff on thier bolts that seems to be uber nice..

Ludakris said:
this was what I have been told.. blue to hold a bolt, red to forget about it...
I do remember something about the diff levels of red, but I have heard of the read stuff taking threads off....
I havent used anything lately, I have been replacing most of the bolts in the suspension.. Mopar has their own loctite stuff on thier bolts that seems to be uber nice..

The different reds are for different temperatures. Engine internals vs. everything else that falls off. I guess I would lean towards blue, at least for the front leaf spring bolts. That's a captured nut that you will never be able to get any heat on...but now that you mention it, I did get all new Mopar nuts and bolts and you are right, they have some sort of loctite on them already. I'll use the red on the discos, per JKS's directions.

Should I do a poll on how many bolts I am going to break, LOL?

LOL I used anti-sieze on my suspension bolts...worked out great since it all came apart after two years... I didn't have to fight with anything.

woody said:
LOL I used anti-sieze on my suspension bolts...worked out great since it all came apart after two years... I didn't have to fight with anything.

What is the difference between blue Loctite and anti-seize? I asked that question at NAPA and didn't get much of an answer.

kevin s said:
What is the difference between blue Loctite and anti-seize? I asked that question at NAPA and didn't get much of an answer.
Anti-sieze is the opposite of Locktite.

It lets stuff come apart.

FWIW, torque that bolt to the factory specs, and have NO worries about it coming out.

Loctite is a threadlocking compound... when it sets up, it prevents the assembled parts from loosening. The blue stuff is for things you go into fairly regularly or plan to remove with hand tools... The red stuff is for things you hope you never have to remove again...think impact wrenches, saws, torches and violence. I haven't encountered anything on my XJs I'd use the red flavor on.

Anti Sieze is like a grease with a copper or aluminum(?) powder in it... about the consistency of old-school Crest toothpaste. The metallic powder keeps parts from rusting together. If I am out of this, I'll use synthetic (Mobil1) grease instead... it works just about as well.

kevin s said:
I am going to be installing a 2" mostly OME lift here in the next couple of weeks when everything gets here. Should I be using Loctite on the rear leaf bolts - and...red or blue? The instructions for the JKS QD's call for 721 (red) on the main bolt. I know red holds better, but I am thinking blue or nothing on the leafs. Once it is on, I never plan on removing them or going higher (insert hysterical laughter from everyone, here).WuudoIdo?

You're in ohio: you don't need loctite :D
OK, all joking aside: the JKS QD's red without a doubt. For the leafs no locktite whatsoever: just torque them to spec and you'll be good (and you'll be happy next time you have to take it appart).

Back