• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AirAid vs Snorkel

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I know...only get a snorkel if you make deep water crossings. Got it. hasta All that aside, I'm debating between an AirAid cold air intake for my 4.0 or a safari style snorkel. I want to get as much power as possible for the buy, but here in Florida I also play alot in the water. I haven't gone QUITE that deep yet, but am considering a snorkel...for that day. Anyway, I've heard alot of you say that snorkel's, via ram air effect, can increase horsepower, but have not read much out of the NAXJA crew on the AirAid intake. Any suggestions guys? Screw 'em both and go to K&N? I'm pretty open here, I just want to do what's best for my baby. :wierd:

if you plan tp go deep then go safari, if you want to stay shallow go with the airaid, if you wanna do no watter crossings go with a cold air intake. just my.02

Is the airaid worth a damn, or is it just a waste of money? I know the manufacturer makes pretty healthy claims on it, but does it really live up to it?

Buddy of mine has his on a '04 Silverado with a 4.8l V-8, 5-speed, 3.73 rear end. He's also got a Ram Air Hood, helical TB spacer, enlarged TB and MAF sensor and better that stock exhaust. Before he put the hypertech programer, MAF sensor and TB on it his truck did pick up some power, but my stock '98 Limited would still hang with it. Haven't tried since then though and he's adding vented disks and lowering shackles/shocks too.

freewithfire said:
I'm pretty open here, I just want to do what's best for my baby. :wierd:

I'd be interested to hear opinions on this as well... Haven't really been planning on a snorkel since I don't usually play in water that deep either (January aside), but have been looking into FIPKs, Rusty's air tube, the AirAid, etc. Sucking in water, mud, debris, etc. is something of a concern.

Right now I've got a K&N in the stock airbox, and it seems to be working out quite well. Midrange responsiveness picked up a small but noticeable amount; oxygen sensors are shot so can't really speak for fuel economy. Had similar results with a Fram AirHog before, FWIW, and both are priced around the same.

Don't mean to be a hijacker here but how do the Safari Snorkels keep from sucking in water when it's raining since they're pointed straight forward?

Zoro said:
Don't mean to be a hijacker here but how do the Safari Snorkels keep from sucking in water when it's raining since they're pointed straight forward?

You rotate the intake to face the rear.

this is really apples and oranges.. your not going to get ram effect from a 2x3 opening and 5ft of tubing to the stock air filter... the snorkel has one purpose and does it well..

the air raids and what not.. in my opinion... are a waste of money.. its a cone filter on a round tube.. for a few hundred bucks.. at most I would think a 5 hp gain.. in a small Rpm range.. they sound good though..

It comes down to what you want, peace of mind off-road or a little bit of extra power.... $.02

well I liked how the airaide goes over the top of the engine, though it's right where all the heat is it and gives you room in the stock intake area for something....dual batteries.....compressor....remote dual oil filters?

Markaboo, I live in Windermere, which is in the Orlando area. I don't know, I guess all the opinions help a bit, but I think I'm still stuck debating for a while...decisions decisions...

I have the Snorkle and K&N. I wanted the cooler dust free air that you can only get with a snorkle. If you get the air raid, you are limited to never go into water to deep plus the warmer air under the hood. It there is an inkling of a chance to cross a river go with the snorkle and K&N. The snorkle is not only for deep water crossings. I use mine mainly for high bank angles droping into a river where the nose is under the water.

Back