• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade swaybar discos

cwuwildcat

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone had any success making homemade discos? im just doing some research because i dont want to spend money and i think i can do it but havent tried yet. if you have, post pics or write a description of how you did it. thanks

ps. i have a 3" lift if that helps

cwuwildcat said:
has anyone had any success making homemade discos? im just doing some research because i dont want to spend money and i think i can do it but havent tried yet. if you have, post pics or write a description of how you did it. thanks

ps. i have a 3" lift if that helps

Some people make out good with them, and others dont like them. I made my own and they work fine. Try searching its been covered millions of times. You'll find what you need.

-Wondo

I ran those for almost 2 years, they worked out great!! I just throw them away a couple days ago(along with the front sway bar).

Total cost for them is less then $10!!

I did a very similar route:
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/budgetdisconnects/index.htm

I cut my old torx bolts off with an angle grinder as they were rusted/stuck pretty badly. put the long (pin) end towards the tires to keep it away from your coil springs.

This mods works great and is eay to remove/replace for trails. You'll have to make some sort of sway-bar retainer while it's disconnected to keep it from flopping all over.

Dont like to use this very often but have you tried a search of the forum. Im sure you will find something.

I have all the pieces to install this type of sway bar disconnect. I believe I bought it of some guy on eBay for $10. It's nice to know it works well. Looks like I found my weekend project! :D

I just used the generic hardware setup, but used this writeup because it helped the most with the pressed-in bolts--http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/swaybar_endlinks.htm

ad6f4ebf.jpg
c2553133.jpg

From those images, that wing nut looks like a great idea. I take it that it holds just as tight as a normal nut?

First, I guess I should have mentioned that I'm not lifted. You could use stud extenders on the top link for that. RevXJ--yep, tight enough. I do use a pair of pliers to crank them down, and I put the links on a drill press to drill holes for small hitch pins. If you do that, have some nuts further down on the links' tops. That way, once the holes are drilled, you just loosen the nuts off the top and clean up the threads super easily. The only thing I didn't like, was that there was still some side-to-side movement due to the holes in the tine pins (on the bottom) not being just the right spacing. I ended up just buying some grade-8 bolts and grade-5 nylock nuts and leave the appropriate wrenches in the center console. Much tighter this way, and takes maybe twenty more seconds per side. I would recommend putting some copper grease on any threads in that area, especially if you only disconnect once in a great while.

It takes less than 5 min to unscrew the top swaybar link bolt and zip tie the sway bar threw the hole in the frame rails right next to it. Then just pivot the links down to the axle. Put the bushings and nuts in a bag and your done. No problems and its free.

japril said:
It takes less than 5 min to unscrew the top swaybar link bolt and zip tie the sway bar threw the hole in the frame rails right next to it. Then just pivot the links down to the axle. Put the bushings and nuts in a bag and your done. No problems and its free.
True--if you can get the stock nuts off without breaking the studs. I soaked each one for two days, several times each day and still broke both studs. I do agree with you, though. If the nuts will come off easily, there's no real need to do anything else.

thanks a lot guys. this seems really easy to do, cant wait to get started.

burby...i saw that your running the same size tires i am(235/75/r15) do you have a lift? if so how do they look? im lifting mine 3"s once my lift arrives and i was wondering if my tires will look alright or if i have to buy new ones, which i dont want to have to do for awhile.

here yaaa goo....
swaybarlink.jpg

Aug29-01.jpg

Aug29-05.jpg

soo far so good, pretty easy to take on and off. The top part of the links were cut off and i welded the eyes from the rear swaybar, which i removed, in place. So there are eyes on both ends and a hitch type pin that goes through to hold em on.

cwuwildcat said:
thanks a lot guys. this seems really easy to do, cant wait to get started.

burby...i saw that your running the same size tires i am(235/75/r15) do you have a lift? if so how do they look? im lifting mine 3"s once my lift arrives and i was wondering if my tires will look alright or if i have to buy new ones, which i dont want to have to do for awhile.

Burby and I are both running 2" lifts with the AT 235's. Here's mine after the lift.

mallrated.JPG

When the TNT arms come in he'll go up approx 5" and will probably be rolling on the 235's for a little while. Them 35's ain't cheap. I imagine with 3" the 235's will look kinda small, but would still work. Make sure to check the various jeep groups for sale sections for cheaper tire options.

Marsquatch

Ok.. so I need disco's seeing as how i've been driving without them connected for about a month now...I don't want to spend $100 on a set and nobody is selling any used ones... so I figure i'd make my own. It doesn't seem too hard... the question is... i've seen the write ups on how to do it, but, will it fit a 4.5" lift? If somebody could PM or post a write up for making them for a 4.5"" lift( + parts list) that would be fabtabulous. I need it asap so the Chief handles better. Thanks in advance!

I made them my self and kept bendind the link after mild wheeling. removed the front sway bar altogather along with thee rear. seems alittle tippsy at first just have to watch speed on corners.

Back